sixteen

Theo didn't even try to ignore me as I sat down beside him in Potions, instead openly glaring at me

Theo didn't even try to ignore me as I sat down beside him in Potions, instead openly glaring at me. He tapped his index finger repeatedly against the desk as I pulled me things from my satchel and set up for the lesson. I'd managed to get to the class early after my disastrously late start in Transfiguration that had earned me another detention, and Slughorn hadn't arrived yet.

"I feel like I should apologise to you," I muttered as I turned to face Theo. He didn't stop glaring and the only indication that he'd heard me was the slight lift of his eyebrows.

"Not Lucinda Fontaine admitting she might have something to apologise for," Theo said as he rolled his eyes.

"Shut it, Theo," I snapped. "I'm trying to be nice." He scoffed.

"Go ahead then, sweetheart."

"I shouldn't have said what I said this morning about calling you a mistake," I took a deep breath as I spoke. "It's clear it affects you a lot when I say that and I shouldn't use your feelings against you just because I'm angry, so I'm sorry for hurting you." His glare turned to a total look of surprise.

"Wow," He said before pressing his lips together and falling silent. "I didn't know you had that in you, sweetheart." Now I rolled my eyes.

"Just because your personality has done a complete 180 in the last two years, doesn't mean mine has," I sneered at him.

"And if it hasn't?" He said and my sneer dropped as I cocked my head to one side.

"Huh?"

"If I am still the same I was two years ago," He said, making me blink furiously. "What then?" I continued to stare at him as he looked back, a hint of vulnerability in his jade eyes I wasn't used to seeing since he'd come back.

"But you aren't," I said and he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger.

"Lucy, can you just listen to what I'm trying to say," He said and the look he gave me made me think he was trying to say something without saying it. And he'd called me Lucy, which he only ever seemed to do when he was trying to be real.

"I don't understand what you're trying to say, Theo," I said and he looked as if he were in pain. He was on the verge of saying something when Slughorn stepped into the room and Theo let out a frustrated sigh.

"Meet me tonight," He whispered as Slughorn began to explain the lesson to us.

"Absolutely not," I said, even though my insides begged me to say yes. I didn't know how to function when his lips were so close to my ear and he smelt the way he did.

"Lucy, please," He said, the use of the word please beside my name drawing my attention as my gaze snapped back to him. "I don't want to keep playing games with you like this."

"I'm not playing any games with you, Theo," I told him. "I don't want anything to do with you."

"You lie." My spine straightened at the way his fingers ran up and down my back before his hand settled on my thigh. "Meet me at the astronomy tower after curfew."

"Why the hell should I?" I shot back. His hand tightened around my thigh and when I looked at him, he was looking at Slughorn.

"Because as much as I can't fucking stand you these days," He muttered, his hand tightening painfully on my leg as he squeezed hard. "I need you to know why the fuck I disappeared two years ago." My heart seemed to simultaneously stop and beat right out of my chest.

"Why?" My voice was only a whisper as I tried to focus on whatever the hell Slughorn was teaching us.

"Because it's becoming apparent that I need you to know that I never would have left after what we shared if I didn't have to," He said and I felt his eyes on me as I kept my gaze forward. Even as I wanted to snap back, I could hear in his words the old Theo was there and that broke my heart more than ever before. I'd spent the last week accepting he was no longer the same boy I'd once known, but to hear the way his voice cracked, to see how he reacted when I'd called him a mistake. That scared the shit out of me.

"Mr Nott," Slughorn called and we both stared at the teacher. "Instead of whispering to Miss Fontaine who is trying to pay attention to my class, perhaps you could pay attention yourself?" Theo grunted hard as Slughorn went back to his lecture, all the while his hand never leaving my thigh.

"Okay," I whispered ten minutes later. "After curfew. I'll meet you."