25

Skye's visit to the obstetrician was fraught with a mix of anticipation and unease. Opting for a small clinic off Broadway and North instead of the hospital where she worked, she wanted to maintain some semblance of privacy about her pregnancy. The clinic, a modest yet welcoming facility, offered her the discretion she desired.

As she sat in the examination room, her mother's absence weighed on her. The flu had rendered her bedridden, and her father was somewhere lost in the maze of city traffic. The obstetrician, Dr. Geyun, a kind-faced middle-aged woman, entered the room.

"Are you the only one to be here?" Dr. Geyun asked, setting up the ultrasound machine.

"Yeah," Skye replied, her voice tinged with disappointment.

Just then, the door burst open, and Christopher rushed in. His usually styled hair was unkempt, his blue eyes wild and cheeks flushed – a far cry from his usual composed and perfectionist demeanor.

"I'm here," he announced, slightly out of breath.

Skye wasn't sure how to react. Annoyance mingled with a reluctant sense of relief. She opened her mouth to speak, but Dr. Geyun, mistaking their relationship, interjected cheerfully, "Oh, looks like your husband came in just in time."

"He's not my—" Skye began, but Christopher cut her off.

"Yes, I did," he said quickly, running a hand through his hair to smooth it back.

Dr. Geyun smiled and proceeded with the ultrasound. The room filled with the sound of the baby's heartbeat, a rapid, rhythmic thumping that resonated in the small space.

"Congratulations, you two are very lucky parents to a healthy-looking baby girl," Dr. Geyun announced, her voice warm with excitement.

On the screen, the baby started moving its fingers in a way that looked like a wave. "Oh, look at that," Dr. Geyun remarked, pointing at the monitor.

Chris smiled at Skye, an expression of awe and happiness on his face. Skye, however, couldn't bring herself to return his gaze. She was still upset, unable to reconcile her feelings about his recent actions with the man who now stood beside her, sharing this moment.

"Thanks, Dr. Geyun," Skye said, her voice flat.

The doctor handed Skye the printed ultrasound pictures. She took them, her fingers trembling slightly. Without another word to Christopher, she walked past him, her emotions a turbulent storm she wasn't ready to confront.

As Skye left the clinic, holding the images of her daughter, she felt a complex mix of joy and apprehension. The reality of her pregnancy was now more tangible than ever, but so were the complications of her relationship with Christopher. She walked to her car, the ultrasound pictures clutched tightly in her hand, knowing that the path ahead was filled with both challenges and blessings.

Christopher hurried out of the clinic, his mind reeling from the sight of his unborn daughter on the ultrasound screen. The realization that he was going to be a father to a little girl was both overwhelming and surreal. Victoria, his mother, had always dreamt of having a granddaughter, and now that dream was about to become a reality.

As he stepped outside, he saw Skye walking briskly towards her car. He called out to her, but she didn't respond. With each unanswered call, his sense of unease grew. He knew he had messed up – maybe not entirely, but enough to cause a rift between them.

"Wait, Skye," he called out again, finally catching the edge of her jacket as she was about to open her car door.

Skye turned around abruptly, her eyes blazing with anger. "What could you possibly want?" she demanded, her voice thick with emotion.

Chris hesitated, searching for the right words. "Skye, I... I just wanted to talk about what happened."

"There's nothing to talk about, Chris," Skye retorted sharply. "You made it perfectly clear where your priorities lie."

Chris felt a pang of guilt. "I know I messed up, and I'm sorry. But seeing our daughter today... it changed everything for me. She's real, Skye. This is real."

Skye's expression softened slightly, but the anger was still there. "It's been real for me since the day I found out I was pregnant, Chris. It's nice that you've finally caught up."

Chris took a deep breath, feeling the weight of her words. "I understand why you're upset, and you have every right to be. But I want to be there for you and our daughter. I want to make things right."

Skye looked at him, her expression wavering between anger and uncertainty. "Chris, I can't just forget what you did. I need time to think."

"I know," Chris acknowledged, feeling a sense of desperation. "Just, please, don't shut me out. Let me be a part of this, of her life."

Skye sighed, a look of exhaustion crossing her face. "I need to process this, Chris. Give me some space."

With that, she turned and got into her car, leaving Chris standing alone in the parking lot. He watched her drive away, feeling a mix of regret and determination. He knew he had a lot to make up for, but he was ready to do whatever it took to be a part of his daughter's life and to support Skye through this journey. As he walked back to his own car, Chris resolved to be the father his daughter needed and the support Skye deserved, no matter how challenging the road ahead might be.