Prologue

Puducode is a small village in Kerala. Their were four parts to the village with the Bhagavathy temple right in the middle. The temple was taken care of by all the four parts. Ahalya, a six year old happy child skipped her way to the temple, along with her grandfather. He was well known in the village as well respected as "Chaami mama". He was the head master for the local school. In fact, that was the only school there and kids from all the four villages went there.

Chaami mama's wife, Lakshmi mami taught slokams and song to the village children. It was a ritual for the children to join her porch at 6 pm to chant and sing, at the end of which, she would fondly hand them a little pouch of prasadam. They would then walk up to the temple for deeparadhanai before heading home.

Chami mama and Lakshmi were humble people who were loved by all. They were very generous too. The were always willing to help anyone who came to their door seeking help. Ahalya sat next to Lakshmi while she was cooking. She used coal and wood pieces to start the fire and coughed when the soot reached her throat, "Kozhandai thalli ukkaru maa. Kannu eriyum" she said and the little girl promptly moved back. Lakshmi smiled, "chamayal pannatha eppovum oru pidi jaasthiya vachukanum. Krishna Paramathma manishan roopathula vandhu chaapaadu kepparam. Appo naamathula kudukarthukku onnum Illaina avar pashiyoda povaraam adhunaala namathukku aaravudhu pashi nu kettundu vandha, illai nu chollave pdadhu kozhandai." Ahalya intently heard the story and nodded in agreement.

Why was Ahalya with her grandparents? Where are her parents?

14 year old Shankar was a studious boy. His father was a lawyer and mother a house wife. His father associated himself with the socialites of Calcutta. His mother, daughter of an army officer, organized parties which was attended by the high society men and women. Shankar was taught all the necessary etiquettes at a very young age. He had to attend the birthday parties and learn the sports of the rich as well. So he played badminton like them, learnt horse riding like them and joined the chess club like them. He was expected to be a topper in the British school in Calcutta. He was told at a young age that "boys don't cry". Shankar was never asked what he wanted. He wanted to play cricket with the street boys, he wanted to travel by the local bus, he wanted to play carrom board with the neighborhood colony boys, he wanted to jump into the puddle.

Did anyone care about what he wanted? Will anyone ever care?

Tell me what you think so far.
Are you curious to know more about them?
Do share your thoughts and comments.

Brinda Subramanian