Ch.32 - Big Commotion

"Jack, let me help you!"

"I've got him; I don't want you hurting yourself!"

Even with the yard being covered by darkness, the lights from the porch make the two men visible. My Uncle Jim, as usual, is plastered silly, and Jack volunteers to take him to George's. All my brothers, excluding Ollie, are working hard to get those of our family members who aren't in any condition to drive into a car. Harry's car is complete, and he's trying to keep everyone quiet while the engine heats up. Tommy uses Dad's car since he only has two seats, and they're pulling out of the driveway. George's vehicle was also complete, but two remained, so Jack jumped into action to save him on the second trip. I'm shocked at the number of family members that had a few too many; it's usually just two or three... this would be embarrassing if it weren't so funny.

Following a few feet behind, I'm stifling laughs as Uncle Jim tells Jack for the hundredth time, "Why, back in my day, I looked just like you." And for the hundredth time, Jack tells him he has no doubts about that.

"Uncle Jim, tomorrow you'll have to remind Jack again about how much you looked like him. He tends to forget things." I practically made myself double over as I clutched my stomach after Jack's glare, adequately pleased with myself.

"I-is that... so Jack?" He slurs and pauses to hiccup, "I'll be sure to re-remind you of everything I t-tell y-you; it's important s-stuff!"

"I'm sure we'll talk about this in the morning." Jack shakes his head, trying to keep the drunk on his feet while opening the nearest rear door.

"I'll remind you!" Uncle Jim yells, and I trip over my feet, luckily catching myself in Jack's car, laughing even harder.

"Just watch your head as you get in," helping him inside before closing the door. "You think you're just so hilarious, don't you?" Jack cannot hide the amusement in his voice, even as he tries to act cross.

"I am! And you love me!" My sides still hurt as I step closer, wrapping my arms around him and looking up with a silly grin.

"That I do! I'm risking the upholstery of a brand-new car for you! ... you're worth it, though." He lowers his head, sweetly kissing my cheek. "Now for your cousin," he huffed as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders before we returned to fetch the next one.

When we look up after taking a few steps, George has our cousin Greg draped over his shoulder, instructing him to keep a steady pace. Jack raises his hand, puffing out a dramatic sigh of relief that he doesn't have to do it.

"Thank you, George! Save my poor Jack the trouble!" Despite the bit of shame it brings, I still find all of this wildly amusing. It's good that Jack is patient, but I don't want to push him too far.

"He's saved me by agreeing to stand in as a groomsman; it's the least I could do - watch it!" He says, interrupted by Greg, who keeps stepping on his foot.

"It's no trouble; what else are friends for?" Jack shrugs with a smile, both of us watching my brother pass by, nearly dragging Greg.

"I can only hope to return the favor one day." George struggles just as before to do several things simultaneously but finally succeeds and closes the door. "I'm sorry to take him from you again, but all the men will retreat to my house for the night."

Jack turns to hug me, which I don't hesitate to accept. "I know, I don't have to like it, though," whining into his chest.

"I know the feeling," he weaves his fingers into my hair and holds me tighter, "I love you. Sleep peacefully, my love."

Groaning, I tilt my head to look at him, taking it all in, hoping it'll hold me over till morning. "Drive safely, then. I hope you don't stay up too late. Big day tomorrow... I love you."