Ch.25 - Guests

It's been a week of non-stop restlessness between work and Jack. The only thing I've had time for is sleeping. After our day of 'resting' in my apartment, we decided to walk in Central Park. Once I gave him my schedule, it shouldn't have surprised me when he was parked outside after work. Of course, he drove Violet home with me, which was fun. Instead of making Vi squeeze into the back seat, we've just been lined up shoulder to shoulder on the front bench seat due to the lack of ease of access. I'm always in the middle, between the love of my life and my closest friend, so it's hard not to be thoroughly amused each time. He always asks her if she needs to be taken anywhere, in case she may need anything in the city, which she usually takes him up on. The fact that she insists on not needing to be picked up when she finishes tells me she intentionally leaves us alone. I told her once I caught on that she doesn't have to, to which she says she's aware, continuing to do it anyway.

The hours I've gotten with him feel like medicine; I haven't felt like myself so much in years. I no longer close myself off around anyone else, excluding Vi. Over the past ten years, my time with her has been my only reprieve until he found me again. My brightened mood has been complimented several times by coworkers, pointing out that I'm never seen without a smile anymore. This is a fair assessment; I'm not thinking of the next time I get to be in his space.

I'm whining about work and its frustrations, all. At the same time, Jack watches me scramble through the apartment, trying to prepare for another dinner. He is my voice of reason and patience, as I voice very little for specific coworkers and clients.

"I couldn't believe she said that about me, 'lacking in professional decorum.' Oh please, I'm surprised she even knows the word 'decorum.'" Passive aggression drips from my tone as I continue washing dishes. Jack stands to the side with a hand towel, drying the cleaned dishes as I go.

He's been fighting the urge to laugh throughout my ranting, "Is there a chance you're being harsh?"

"There could be a slim chance of that... But you didn't hear her! And she said it in front of my boss! It was nice to hear him defend me by saying I'm one of his best hires... My point still stands! She's a menace." I grumbled the last of my defense, feeling bad for being so short-fused over the whole ordeal.

"Let's say, for argument's sake, that you're right and she is a menace... What good does letting her muddy your day do for your well-being? Yes, it's an annoying experience, and it's reasonable to be irked by it. But you didn't get in trouble at work, your boss likes you enough to defend you, and now you get to be here..." Stepping behind me, he rests his chin on my shoulder and loops his arms loosely around my waist "... with me, we're going to have a relaxing evening, I'm going to treat you with a nice dinner, and we get to choose how we want to spend this time... are we going to choose to focus on us... or her?"

Setting the last cleaned dish to the side, my hands come up to rest on his in front of my waist, letting my head fall back onto his shoulder behind me. I close my eyes and sigh, groaning at the validity of his point. "... Us."

"Atta' girl," lifting his head to kiss my temple, "Now, would you like to go for a walk? We could get you something sweet at the market down the street?"

"Yes, please!" He laughs at the revitalized joy in my voice, squeezing me before allowing me to walk away to get ready. "You better not expect it to be this next time I cross! I'm not usually so easily deterred!" Raising my voice as I hurry down the hall so he's sure to hear me.

"Of course not! Mrs. Eleanor Taylor is not to be messed with!" I can hear the delight in his voice, but I know he's aware that there is truth in my playful words.

Smiling in contentment to myself, I move forward with changing.

A knock at the door breaks me from focus; a slight panic and confusion cloud my mind... I need to dress better to answer the door, and I wasn't expecting anyone besides Jack to be here. Then, I wonder if this unknown guest is here for Violet.