S1 E9: Last Laugh

(A/N: Sorry for taking so long, but this story's not dead by a long shot. Here's another episode for your Ben 10 fans. Enjoy.)

(As Max drove the Rust Bucket down the road, Gwen saw a circus sign on a billboard.)

Gwen: ""Zombozo's Travelling Circus of Laughs"? Cool!"

Max: "Ah, I haven't been to a circus since I was a boy. Sounds like fun! What do you guys think?"

Gwen: "I love the circus!"

Ben: "That's because you belong in one."

Max: "Ben..."

Kelly: "Nah, circus is kids' stuff."

Zack: "Hello? What are we?"

Ben: [yawn] "Besides, it's-it's pretty late."

Max: "Ben, it's 11 o'clock in the morning."

Ben: [angry] "Fine by me! Okay, alright! You guys wanna go see some stupid circus? Fine!"

Zack: "I'm still not sure about this. Y'know how much I hate clowns? They scare the daylights out of me. And that's a fact."

Gwen: "Aw, c'mon, Zacky. There's no need to be scared. They're harmless..."

Zack: "Only when they entertain kids in their normal ways. You haven't seen their true colors yet."

Ben: "See? My bro gets it!"

Gwen: [shoves Ben outta the way and give Zack the puppy dog eyes] "Please, Zack? Just this once? For me?"

(Zack tries very hard to resist Gwen's puppy dog eyes. But he failed as he sighed in defeat.)

Zack: "Okay, fine. Only for you, Gwen."

Gwen: [hugs Zack] "Thanks, Zacky." [sticks her tongue out at Kelly, who growled at her.]

At the Circus Yard...

(The fearsome quintet were walking through the circus yard with stalls around them.)

Max: "Ohh, looks like the entire town's turned out for the show!"

(While they were walking, Gwen noticed Zack was trying to stay calm and Gwen giggled, taking his hand and interlocked with it as they won't get separated.)

Meanwhile...

Kelly: "I know you're afraid of clowns, dude."

Ben: "What? No, I'm not!"

Kelly: "Ben, I can see it in your eyes. And I know Zack's afraid of them too. And believe me, I used to be afraid of them. I know what scares you and what doesn't. And right now, you look as though you're in a nightmare."

Ben: "Ugh, okay, you're right. They freak me out. Are you gonna make fun of me?"

Kelly: "Hey. My brother and I may be related by blood, but that doesn't mean I have the same attitude as him. I may be tough, but I also have a heart of gold to do the right thing. After all, you and your brother are superheroes and I'm one too. No clown is a match for us, you hear me?"

(Kelly's words give Ben some newfound courage and he gives her a brave smile.)

Ben: "You're right. Come on. Let's keep up with the others before they realize we're gone for too long."

(Ben and Kelly catch up to Max, Zack and Gwen as the ringmaster introduces three circus freaks known as Thumbskull, FrightWig and Acid Breath bending and melting a metal rod.)

(As the group enters the Big Top, the ringmaster introduces Zombozo the Clown and everyone is already laughing at him as the clown stepped out of his clown car. However, Ben and Kelly weren't laughing as they think something's off about Zombozo. The duo then left the tent, leaving Max, Zack and Gwen to watch Zombozo.)

(While Ben and Kelly were away due to facing Zombozo's minions, Max, Gwen and Zack continued to laugh at Zombozo. But their laughs weren't normal. They almost seemed forced, like they're hypnotized.)

(When the show was over, the circus just vanished along with Gwen and Zack. The couple are among a small group of people that were kidnapped by Zombozo and his Freaks.)

(Zack and Gwen couldn't help but to keep laughing despite their feeling of despair. They could feel their souls and bodies slowly draining away...until they felt a sudden wave of happiness as if all the joy in their lives came rushing in.)

(Gwen and Zack opened their eyes to see Ben kneeling over them and Kelly standing with her arms crossed. The two were extremely groggy.)

Zack: "Ben? Kelly?"

Gwen: "Ah, my head. What happened?"

5 Minutes of Explanation Later...

Zack: "Okay, okay, so let me get this straight. Zombozo was feeding off our happiness, and been using me and Gwen as snacks, while his Freaks were robbing people blind."

Ben: "That's the gist of it, yeah."

Gwen: "Ugh, I hate clowns now."

Zack: "I told you so."

(Gwen playfully elbows Zack in the stomach as the two couples shared a gentle laugh together.)

(Fade to black.)