Chapter Forty One

Another week passed a lot faster then I hoped. Alessio had ordered what the news was calling the bloodiest month of Italy in it's history based on the amount of people that were being killed or disappearing which was no different then saying they were killed. Most of them would be nothing but ashes if they were considered missing, if they were killed it was the warning phase.

He had come home covered in blood on multiple occasions and I never once asked him what was happening in the Crimson hall if he had bags of clothing covered in blood. Most of which he had burned to ash before buying more. I'd also noticed the increased security as we neared the date of the wedding. Something I had a worry about, was for my sister then anyone else.

Alessio and I had also seen less of Gabriella and Matteo both of who I knew were in Liguria since Gabriella had begged our parents to let her at least familiarize herself with the city. My dad was also still dealing with my mother's outburst towards me, and my reluctance to use Alessio to better my position.

I was already going to be the wife of the Don.

There was numerous other ways my mom could create more power and influence in Italy if she dedicated herself to it but instead she wanted the easy way which was usual but she would also cunningly make more for herself then anyone else, and I had to wonder just how much of that natural talent for manipulation had been passed on to her children.

I had feared for most of my life that I would inherit it, and be able to get my way regardless of the circumstance but I found that it was Domenico who had gotten that talent and it was what allowed my family to keep power behind the scenes.

My dad was a good Don but I'd seen just how far some men in this world would go and it was probably why I could see nothing but good relations between Domenico and Alessio for the future of both our Familia's.

Alessio also wasn't blinded by rage, he was temperamental at times but he had that trait from being the Boss of a very predominant Familia that ruled Europe.

I'd imagine I wouldn't be any different in those circumstances.

I had also noticed that he seemed paranoid about who he could trust and I truly wondered how often delirium sets in for Mob bosses once they are in power. Alessio hadn't every showed signs of not being in control he had everything figured out and people who trusted him with their lives for the past seven years and from what I could tell if Alessio so much as whimmed for someone to disappear no one would know. And all his made members wouldn't say a word about what happened even if a full scale Interpol investigation happened.

I was starting to see just how true the words bound by blood could apply to the life, even if the omerta was said by all who swore to stand by Alessio. Few meant it in other Familias, in this one it meant death.

I'd set up a day where I could see Gabriella before I would be married to Alessio and her to Matteo but I wanted it to be just the Valentino girls before we were no longer able to be identified as that. It would be both somewhat stripping but also liberating since I would be a part of the most powerful Mafia Familia in Europe. It had begun to swirl through my mind and I almost forgot that I was standing in the art room that Alessio had in his house and now had various canvases in the room that I worked on almost all through the day, and I wondered what my soon to be husband would do with all of them.

My art varied and I wouldn't even know where to begin if I started to find places in the house for them, however I had other thoughts on what Alessio might do though I doubt he'd be so willing to have me sell them. Putting them on display to see would be different.

I also quickly realized just how much Alessio spent on making sure I had hobbies even if he spent almost all of his days as of recently seeking out anyone who had wronged the Familia, and was attempting to sabotage the wedding between him and I regardless of if it took him from me. I'd learned his habits, he'd return home, shower off whatever bodily fluid had ended up on him, and deep clean his clothing before going immediately to sleep, though I could tell that he was tense and there was two ways he could get through it, and him hitting something, or smoking wasn't going to be beneficial to the maelstrom in his head.