Chapter Twenty Five

As the car slowed to a stop in the driveway Alessio unlocked the doors before leaning back into his seat with a look of concern on his face.

"You can go inside if you want, I just want a moment out here," Alessio says rolling the windows down as he pulled his phone from his pocket and began to scroll through his contacts list.

"Okay, I'm going to get ready for bed," I say giving him a smile before pushing open the door and closing it behind me carefully as Alessio raised the phone to his ear.

As I walked inside I turned the lights on as I moved through our enormous house, I'd noticed as I walked through Alessio's house that the dark beige grey walls mixed with all the wood actually made me feel more at home then I had when I first stepped into his home. He'd made sure that his house was comforting even if the man himself was dangerous and not ever close to losing control.

Walking upstairs I looked into all the bedrooms of which their had to be at least ten on this floor alone though they were complete suites and not just a bed. The house seemed so empty, and remembering that it was meant to be where all the Underbosses would meet and not the home for the Capo, I forgave it. Alessio didn't even seem like any of it mattered to him, like the house and what would soon be twenty cars, wasn't at all important to him, and it had been worrisome to the enemies of the Salvatorini Familia. I'd been just thirteen when he became the Boss of the Familia and I, like many others, watched as he took the world, one city, region, and province at a time until he had the kind of influence even the most powerful businessmen in the world couldn't even dream of.

I'd understood that Alessio's life was of crime and built on the control of others but I'd never until the wedding of Luca understood just what he'd be willing to do if anyone hurt anyone his family cared about. Gabriella may not have known it yet but I could tell that Matteo having his eye on her would change what she would think her future was going to be like.

Entering the bedroom I crossed the room to the doors that led out onto the private balcony that looked over the back side of the Salvatorini Estate. Pushing the doors open. I was met by the cool night air and the sound of leaves in the wind along with the faint chatter of the security into their headpieces, as they wandered the grounds.

Then I heard the bedroom door open, and I turned to see Alessio who had undone his tie and had it hung on his shoulder all while his jacket was unbuttoned and the top few buttons of his shirt. A look of void emotional stoicism the leading expression of hid face along with distress and I wanted to know what had caused it but I doubted he'd tell me.

"I'm going to shower, then I need to talk to you about something," he says and the lack of emotion worried me.

Had something happened in the Familia? Had I done something to displease him?

Alessio then disappeared into the walk in closet and when he emerged a moment later he wore nothing and strode into the bathroom shutting the door behind him.

Standing on the balcony I stared at the starts grateful that Alessio's villa was high enough in the hills that light pollution didn't effect it. But even the stars couldn't comfort me tonight. I was concerned for Alessio since he'd never looked like that, never seemed so consumed by the shadows of his life.

Several minutes later when Alessio left the bathroom he wore nothing but a towel, and was mostly dried off except for his hair that looked black from being damp.

Crossing the room he stepped out onto the balcony and for first time I could smell the slight ginger scent that his body gave off was somewhat citrusy and made me associate yet another smell to him.

He then wrapped his arms around my small waist and I was reminded how small I was in comparison to him. It was an odd primal sensation having someone a foot wider and a head taller then myself, be so protective.