17 | the black market

They came in fast and aggressive. Five men who all looked to have seen their equal share of fights over the course of their lives closed in on us, gradually pinning us to the edge of the available ground.

In that split second, I should have been scared, but I couldn't wrap my head around the fact Reks planned to fight them off with a broken step from the ladder.

That is, until he tossed it to me. "Here, just in case," he said in that same calm tone, like there was nothing wrong in the world.

I fumbled the thing and didn't have a chance to argue before the thugs were on him.

"Who knew a big payday could look so scrawny—gwahh!" the thug's snicker turned to an outcry as Reks abruptly gripped the man's hair and drove his skull straight into his rising knee.

Blood sprayed from the thug's nostrils as Reks wrenched the man to the ground, where he laid motionless and out cold.

A couple of the others cursed, but their words were lost before I could make any sense of it. Two of the four left went to grab him. One snagged Reks' arm and tried to twist it behind his back.

My heart leaped in fear. But Reks shoved his weight against his restrainer and booted the other man straight off the edge of the district. The force of the blow was so strong, the man twisting Reks' arm fell backward.

By the time the other thug made a loud splash in the bay, Reks had already freed himself and knocked out another one.

Reks moved so fast, I struggled to keep up. The last two were closing in on him, and they looked furious about what he did to their friends - vengeful, even.

To make matters worse, someone else emerged from the shadows behind Reks. This newcomer was built like a giant bodybuilder on steroids. He might've been part bear, part viking. His muscles had muscles! Accompanying him was his complete opposite in size; the mousy girl with pink hair who led us into this mess. A couple more thugs moved to join the fight.

The scary-looking bodybuilder cracked his knuckles, heading right towards Reks with a fist the size of the teenage girl's head.

Fear mounted inside of my body - mind racing back to the monsters attacking Blaire, Nolan, and I.

Reks had his hands full fighting the other thugs to notice the giant newcomer stalking up in his blind spot.

Desperation kicked in.

Something innate suddenly sparked through my veins as I reeled my arm back to throw the broken plank. Like a white-hot power fueled by an intense need of not wanting anyone I knew to get hurt. Not again.

"Behind you!" I screamed, chunking the broken step at the grizzly.

Somehow with crazy luck, it bonked him square in the face. Splintered side hitting flesh. He grunted from the surprise, squeezing both eyes shut upon impact while Pinky gasped out loud. A small trickle of blood oozed from the corner of his eye like a scary tear. His mean mug shifted towards me. He aggressively stroked his thick peppered black beard.

I stared back, petrified of what I had just done. His crooked nose curled up in a sneer, and he jerked his bald, tattooed head to one side, initiating a row of cracks down his thick neck.

If looks could kill, I'd be a gonner.

He nodded toward me, and the pink-haired girl took that as an order. She pushed herself in gear, quickly closing the gap between us.

My eyes widened. Reks had three men attacking him at once, and now this girl came after me.

She was a tiny thing, but she definitely meant business.