5 | no mercy

Death must have a claim on my life, because once again, it had come to collect.

I clung desperately onto the edge of the hole that shattered under my weight. Glass cut into my fingers while gripping on for dear life. My legs kicked at open, groundless air. Sand stung my horror-filled eyes as the glass spiderwebbed under my bleeding fingers.

"No, no, no, please—"

The glass shattered just as I tried to grab at a new spot to hold on to. Heart thundering, my body swung as the glass gave way from my left hand, leaving me dangling by one arm. Pain splintered up my side, and I knew I wouldn't be able to hoist myself up in time.

Sand spilled over the edges like a mini waterfall, carrying the black ring with its flow. My eyes chased its dive down. It clinked and ricocheted against beams before falling the equivalent of fifteen or more floors to the ground.

Warm blood trickled down my tortured fingers, staining charms on my bracelet.

The glass gave in before I did.

Desperation or instinct took over. I swung my legs towards a beam just as the glass shattered under my slipping grip.

I yelped, hands outstretched towards the nearest beam, but my bloodied fingers slipped across the surface like moss in a river - breath caught dead in my throat.

However, my hands clasped onto one of the ropes wrapped around the beam. I clenched it tight despite how badly my palms burned while sliding down it. I squeezed it harder, screaming through my teeth, forcing it to slow down my momentum before the next beam to get enough control over the fall.

Just as I ran out of rope, I braced myself for the pain to come and spread my legs in order to land on my butt on the second beam. The impact was jarring. I cringed, straining against the pain as tremors shot up my body from the landing.

But I was alive!

A strange laugh bubbled in my throat from the relief, however, it was short-lived. I looked up, then regretted it when sand sprinkled down in my eyes. I blinked, rubbing the sand out with the back of my hand.

I hugged that beam with all four limbs, eyes closed for a long moment. I focused on the cool texture against my cheek until my heart rate stabilized as much as possible. Even still, I couldn't put a stop to the trembling.

I drew in a slow, semi-steady breath before looking back up.

Attempting to climb back up wasn't an option. Even if I managed to climb up to the highest beam, I wouldn't be able to reach the hole. Trying to make the jump would be stupid and far too risky. The glass already proved it couldn't support my weight long enough for me to haul myself up - if I found the strength to do so. Blaire and I were both in great shape from our years in track and running drills for the fun of it at the fire station. I considered myself athletic. Even still, in my current state and with these conditions, it was highly unlikely I could pull it off.

One slip up may grant me a formal introduction to the reaper's scythe. A hard pass for me.

Plus, who knew how much more breakage the hole could take before the entire top caved in on itself. The weight of the sand likely played a factor too.

I scanned the mostly dim dome for other options. If it caved in, it would be like a waterfall of sand filling up a globe. But how would climbing down help me? If I managed to get down, I may end up just dying from starvation. Any doors on the ground would be trapped by sand.

I could intentionally try to break more of the ceiling... I brainstormed. If enough of the glass broke and let sand collapse in at my control, it may offer me the chance to get out if I stay on the highest beam. But if the beam collapsed along with everything else...