Chapter Three A Measure Of Wheat For A Penny And One Dime

For the first time in months, the community celebrated Shabbat as a united family. Although some residents were still worried about their safety, most seemed to relax a little bit during the evening services. Once again, they listened intently to Rabbi Levi Yitzchok Koresh speak of hope and redemption.

He declared, "It is written: This month shall be unto you the beginning of months; it shall be the first month of the year to you. Observe it accordingly, that it may be well unto you. I have spoken it, and so it shall be done unto me. This month shall be unto you the beginning of years." (Leviticus 23:1-3)

Hundreds of people attended services and they sang songs and danced in the street. A few brave souls even jumped over a bonfire on the lawn outside the synagogue. Suddenly, the celebrations stopped as an officer walked inside and locked the door behind him.

The audience grew silent. The noise from the street slowly died away. Everyone waited for him to speak.

Rabbi Levi gazed directly into the officer's eyes. He ignored the warning signs flashing in his mind. His stomach churned with uncertainty. It reminded him of the day the Russian soldiers invaded Sadar. He remembered feeling frightened then, too. But he stayed strong and reassured his followers that everything would be okay.

Rabbi Levi tried to keep his voice steady, but the terror seeping through the walls of the synagogue was impossible to hide.

After a moment, he continued, "Today, we celebrate our holiest day of the week, Shabbat. Our forefathers taught us that it is the day of our deliverance. All those who wish to share with us this day, we will celebrate right here in our synagogue. Let us pray for peace and justice for all nations."

Despite his calm demeanor, he began to shake uncontrollably. He realized that the decision to remain in the building was futile. In fact, it was extremely dangerous. He turned to the crowd and asked, "Are there any volunteers willing to accompany me?"

Without hesitation, Jacob stepped forward. "Sir, yes sir! Follow me, I will lead."

"Good idea Jacob, I'll follow right behind you. Just be careful, OK? You hear me?"

Before Jacob left, he gave Rabbi Levi a reassuring smile and a wink.

The officer nervously stroked his chin and scratched his cheek as he headed to the front to address the assembly, "This is an emergency situation. I am ordering everyone to evacuate immediately. We are in danger. If we are discovered, we will be shot. Please leave quietly and silently. If you are unwilling to leave, you will be forcibly removed. Understood?"

With growing panic, everyone began gathering belongings. Soldiers grabbed men by the arm and forced them toward the exits. Families tried desperately to get their loved ones to leave without causing a commotion.

When a few protesters tried to resist, the soldiers used physical force to carry them out. Their hopes of a peaceful celebration were crushed. Fear paralyzed them. Even those who wanted to escape were unable to move. Many were unable to walk. Some collapsed on the floor. Most sat silently in despair.

At the last minute, Jacob grabbed Joseph by the hand and tugged on his arm. "Come on, let's go! Hurry up, let's go!"

Joseph glanced up at his parents and reluctantly followed the crowd. They stumbled down the aisle of the sanctuary and out the front doors. At the edge of the parking lot, Jacob knelt down and helped Joseph to his feet.

Jacob spoke to Joseph, "Look, you're safe now. Go home and take care of your mom. She must be worried sick."

Joseph nodded weakly and turned away. Tears streamed down his cheeks. Then, he heard Jacob call out his name.