Chapter One The Peace Treaty

The bear from the north, Russia, along with its allies had attacked Israel to no avail. Through the cold nights of the next winter, the people of the tiny country burned the spoils of the war as the Bible predicted.

Jacob Fagin and his family had gathered material every day for the last six months. Fagin's oldest son, Joseph, led the other siblings to the site and enjoyed visiting daily with many other families that were there as well.

The families, especially the older children and teenagers, sat and listened to the stories of the great war as the adults remembered. They told of the sneak attack and how the miraculous was seen in the battle. Some storytellers would say that God Jehovah appeared and helped them win the war without a lot of bloodshed.

Others told the stories completely differently because they didn't credit God at all. They gave all the glory to the great military force of Israel and its expertise in war.

There was a relatively peaceful atmosphere in the country, especially after the Israeli people heard rumors that the preparation for the temple in Jerusalem was nearly completed. All that remained was the actual construction of the building of worship on the temple mount.

As a result, the people felt more secure knowing that Jehovah and the divine armies were watching over the area.

No one could tell what was happening in the world outside the boundaries of Israel.

During the day, some men worked diligently building houses or constructing new roads while others spent time in prayer, still, others joined in groups reading aloud scripture to each other, and others worked together with no particular agenda.

Most stayed in tents while the more affluent built small homes for their families.

Food supplies dwindled rapidly and all who were able to hunt collected food. Even those who lived close to cities had a good supply of food since they still had animals to sell.

Life seemed normal until one morning when everyone woke up to an unusual commotion. Soldiers appeared, lining up the troops and patrolling the streets.

Many women and children cowered in their shelters, fearing for their lives, not knowing why.

Fagin walked his wife back to their home and sat her down on a chair inside before taking her hand. "I don't know," he said. "They aren't telling us anything."

He stared at her with concern. "How are we going to survive this?"

"We just have to wait," she responded as tears ran down her cheeks.

It took three days before anyone received any information about what was going on outside Israel.

A messenger came riding into the village and stood before the assembly of people. Fagin and the others sat silent, listening carefully to what the man had to say. Everyone waited patiently for an answer to why the military surrounded their homes.

Jacob Fagin held his breath waiting to hear what the man had to say. He also worried about what his brother, Abraham, and what he would have to say. He knew that his brother was very outspoken.

When the messenger had finished speaking, everyone wanted to speak at once, including Fagin's brother. The old prophet tried to calm them all down. One man raised his hand, asking the messenger if there was news of Egypt or the rest of the world.

Jacob knew he had to find some way to get more information. He would try to contact Gideon, the prophet, later. His faith told him to stay positive. Jehovah always provided for His people and if this were the beginning of Jacob's trouble, he would endure through it.