To Summon a Demon (Schlattbur)

"Almost there, that should be the last thing," Wilbur said, lighting the last candle on the pentagram.

Tommy giggled. "This is a bad idea, Will."

"It was your idea to try to summon a demon," Wilbur reminded him.

"But you went along with it," Tommy argued.

Wilbur didn't respond, moving to sit next to Tommy just outside of the circle. "Wanna read the words?"

Tommy handed Wilbur the old book they had found. "No, you do it."

"Alright..." Wilbur muttered, flipping to the right page and scanning it until he saw the right words to say.

He didn't really know what they said, being in Latin and all, he just hoped he was pronouncing them right.

When he got to the end, nothing had happened. Tommy sighed in disappointment, taking the book from Wilbur's hands.

"I dunno what you thought would happen, Toms." Wilbur laughed. "I mean, we found that book in the trash."

"I knowww, I thought that at least the candles would go out or something," Tommy sighed.

A gust of wind flew through the room, extinguishing the candles, the smoke curling up to the ceiling.

"Like that?" Wilbur whispered.

"Yeah," Tommy whispered back, his eyes widening in excitement. Or possibly fear. Wilbur couldn't quite tell.

The pentagram started to glow with a dim red, smoke starting to rise from the glowing lines before they caught fire.

Tommy gasped, pushing himself back quickly. "Wilbur?"

Wilbur didn't move, watching with a mixture of horror and curiosity, his wide eyes reflecting the fire that suddenly rose to the ceiling.

Tommy screamed, and Wilbur felt him grab onto his arm, trying to pull him backwards. "Wilbur, come on!"

But Wilbur didn't move. He watched the fire decrease until it was small again, smoldering in the shape of the pentagram. In the center of the pentagram was a demon.

"It worked?" Wilbur whispered.

"Will, please-" Tommy sounded close to tears, his breath shallow and rapid.

Even from the floor, Wilbur could tell the demon was taller than him. He stood on two goat legs, covered in soft looking brown fur. Two large horns curled around a pair of furry ears, and two slightly smaller horns stuck out of his hair in the middle of his head. His eyes glowed with a red that was slowly fading into his irises. He had a furry goat's tail that looked a lot less threatening than the rest of him. Wilbur thought his choice of wearing a suit was a rather interesting choice for a demon to make but wasn't about to say anything about it.

The demon grinned suddenly, looking down at Wilbur. His two canines were pointed like a vampire's. He knelt down, tilting his head as he examined Wilbur.

"A human!" He said happily. "Oh, you're a cute one..."

Wilbur's lungs squeezed in fear, stealing his breath.

"I haven't been summoned in eons," the demon said, cupping one of Wilbur's cheeks with his oddly warm hand. "What is it that you want?"

Wilbur heard Tommy gasp behind him, his little brother's hand gripping tighter on Wilbur's arm.

"Power? Money?" The demon asked, staring into Wilbur's eyes so deeply Wilbur thought he was getting his soul read.

"We didn't think the summoning would work-" Wilbur squeaked, his heart thumping faster than a rabbit's, his breath finally returning, though he was on the verge of hyperventilating.