The Emperor's palace

"It's alright, kid..!"

Steve reached his hand out to Rune, offering to help him up. As soon as Rune was about to take Steve's hand, another coven guard came out of nowhere and snatched Rune by his hair. He squealed in pain and struggled to free himself.

"Hey, you found one! Good job, Steve!"

"W-wait Scott-"

"Let's bring him back to the emperor. See what we should do with him."

"Scott, could you put him down?"

"What?! I'm not giving him slack just cuz he's a kid, Steve. He's still a wild witch."

Steve paused, not sure of what to do. He just wanted to bring Rune to the palace so he would have a place to stay. His mom was dead, and his father was most likely taken into custody of the Emperor's Coven.

Rune kept struggling to get out of Scott's grasp, but he was just a kid. He couldn't free himself from a grown man's grasp.

"L-let go of me!!"

In response to Rune's statement, Scott smacked him in the back of the head. Rune shivered in fear and cried hysterically in pain.

"Shut it!! Or I'll kill you too!!"

Scott dropped Rune to the ground, making him scrape his knee. He grabbed his wrist and practically dragged Rune with him. Rune looked back at Steve with pleading eyes.

Steve felt horrible for the kid. He just wanted to be kind, and that ended up backfiring.. Steve reluctantly followed Scott back to the palace..

____

They soon arrived at the palace, Rune's face covered in dirt from falling down and getting dragged all the way to the palace.

"Alright, we're here, runt. Get up."

Rune looked up at Scott, confused and in pain. Scott gripped Rune's wrist tightly and pulled him up with absolutely no care about Rune's wellbeing.

"I said get up. Steve will take you to the Emperor now, won't you?"

Steve looked up Scott after zoning out. Steve looked down at Rune and back up to Scott with guilt filling him.

"Y-yeah.. Sure.."

Scott pushed Rune into Steve, almost causing him to fall down. Rune let out a small whimper when he was pushed. What is he supposed to do..? Does he run? Does he obey the coven guards? What if he gets hurt?! So many questions were running through Runes little head. He was severely overwhelmed, he didn't even know what to make of the situation.

"Alright.. Come on, kid.."

Steve gave his hand to Rune, hoping he would take it this time. Rune stared at Steve, contemplating whether he should take Steve's hand. Everything was all so sudden.. First Rune was playing photographer with his parents, and now he's at the emperor's palace, surrounded by strangers. and people who want to hurt him.

"It's alright, Kid. I won't hurt you.. I promise."

Rune looked up at Steve, feeling a bit more comfortable with him. Rune then took Steve's hand, Steve smiling when he did. They started walking, Steve trying to make conversation on their way to the throne room.