I was squeezed into a white buttoned shirt EJ had lent me, my discomfort evident in every wrinkle and ill-fitting seam. And to add that final touch of sophistication, I'd sprayed on a cologne EJ insisted I wore. It smelled like money, which was both intriguing and mildly unsettling.

Just as I was considering whether I'd ever get used to this version of myself, my phone buzzed on the top of the dressing table. I picked it up, instantly smiling at the text on the screen and the person it was from.

You gotta show me the drip, A.

With anyone else, I'd rather shoot myself than voluntarily send a mirror selfie. I found myself still smiling as I took a photo with my phone held up, awkwardly making a peace sign with my other hand.

Here ya go, A squared.

The replies were instantaneous.

Holy shit. What happened to my troll of a best friend and who is this impeccably dressed human being?

You're killing it.

And hey, you'll be fine. Just deep breaths. And try not to stab yourself with the many forks on the table.

I rolled my eyes and shot a quick response.

Thanks for the pep talk.

There was another buzz but I didn't get a chance to see the message, my attention stolen by the multiple, impatient knocks on my room door. I swung it open to the judgmental gazes of both EJ and Harper on the other side.

I barely registered Harper's grin from behind EJ as he flooded into the room with his loud personality. Not that I minded.

"Wow, you clean up ga-hood, baby cuz."

I blushed and shot a glance at Harper whose grin widened even more.

"Can you quit calling me that?" I whispered to him, still smiling awkwardly at Harper who was taking me in eye to toe like a piece of meat. And not the sexy kind.

"Nope," EJ responded, still grinning.

I grumbled and muttered under my breath, "Let's get on with it," secretly wondering how I'd survive the impending evening of socializing and refined cuisine.

Maybe, just maybe, this dinner party could turn out to be an unexpected adventure. Or at the very least, a chance to sharpen my small talk skills, one awkward conversation at a time.

It was awkward all right.

I strode into what I'd assumed was just another run-of-the-mill dinner gathering at Harper's former boss's pad, only to realize this soirée had a twist. It wasn't just a dinner party, but an unofficial farewell shindig for Harper, celebrating her grand exit from the world of crunching numbers and balancing spreadsheets. The same world I'd mocked her for being a part of just a couple weeks ago.

Now, the girl was being hailed like a rockstar, and I couldn't help but feel a tad guilty about the things I'd implied. How was I to know I was basically living with a mathematical wizard in disguise?

The 'dinner' portion of the night had been organized as an open buffet with the living room re-arranged to provide enough space for everyone to move around and talk with a plate of food in hand. It was a lot more informal than I'd expected, which was a relief on one hand but a nightmare on the other.

Why? Cause Aiden Mitchell sucked at small talk.

I mmm-ed and aaah-ed my way through most of the conversations with complete strangers who I'd introduced myself to as 'the roommate.' I thought that would have been enough to sway any interest in me but to my horror, it had only spurred it.