fifteen

❝Live inside my mind forever
At least with you, I'd be lost
You're not looking for a girl when
That's something you don't know you want❞

❝Live inside my mind foreverAt least with you, I'd be lostYou're not looking for a girl whenThat's something you don't know you want❞

I sat perched on a barstool, a pristine martini glass cradled in my hand. The dimly lit bar exuded an aura of sophistication, a world away from the harsh fluorescent lights of job interviews that had become the bane of my existence.

Sipping my Grey Goose martini, I couldn't help but conclude that it tasted like a disappointed goose's last sigh. Why was it called a Grey Goose anyway? And why had my mind thought to order it for the first time?

The steel in Aiden's eyes flashed through my mind.

Of course.

My subconscious was a hilarious bitch and my life was a twisted comedy, one where the punchlines were as elusive as a rational explanation for my choice of drink. Or choice of anything anymore really.

I had decided that going home was a recipe for awkwardness with Aiden, and the subway was a claustrophobic nightmare during peak hours. Thus, here I was, drowning my sorrows in a glass of liquid goose discontent.

Just as I began to contemplate the philosophical implications of my martini, the universe, in all its wisdom, graced me with an unexpected guest—my former work-nemesis, Devin.

My eyes caught his cone-shaped existence over the rim of my glass as he sauntered into the bar through the archway, his arrogance a palpable force field, and, of course, zeroed in on me as if drawn by some cosmic law of discomfort.

Before I could so much as bat an eyelash, he made a beeline to where I sat alone and plopped onto the next barstool, his smug grin stretching wider than a rubber band.

"Well, well, if it isn't the unfortunately named Harper Collins," he drawled, his voice dripping with condescension.

He looked me up and down as I tried to take a cool drink from my martini but ended up spluttering at the taste for a third time.

"Still unemployed, I see," he said, noting my clothing. Well, that and the fact that I was in a bar on a weekday far before typical office hours even let out.

Suppressing an eye-roll, I replied, "Devin, you haven't lost your touch for charm."

He leaned in closer, mischief dancing in his eyes.

"And here I was thinking your alternative employment would be compensating at last."

My heart lurched. He couldn't be talking about...

No.

Nobody else knew. Plus, the ones that had been privy to the knowledge had signed an NDA. I could literally sue their ass for spilling the beans to anyone.

"What do you mean?" I feigned ignorance and scrunched my eyebrows together in innocence.

"Are you really playing that card?" he scoffed, scratching the edge of his stubbly chin. "Even now, when you've got nothing else to fall back on but that?"