Chapter 5

THE NEXT DAY

Qui-Gon, Padme, JarJar and R2 make their way back to Watto's shop. Padme follows Qui-Gon, "are you sure about this? Trusting our fate to a boy we hardly know? The Queen will not approve."

"The queen doesn't need to know," Qui-Gon says, glancing over to Padme. Qui-Gon walks into the shop, still glancing over to Padme.

"Well I don't approve," Padme says strongly, sitting down beside the door of the shop.

Watto looks to the doorway, calling out to Qui-Gon, "the boy tells me you want to sponsor him in the race." Watto flies over to the man with Anakin walking beside him. "How can you do this? Not on Republic credits, I think, huh?"

Pulling something off of his belt, he shows the toydarian a hologram of the ship, "my ship will be the entry fee." Anakin looks up at the man with a questioning gaze.

"Not bad, huh? A Nubian, huh?" Watto asks, seeming impressed.

"It's in good order," Qui-Gon says, "except for the parts I need."

"What would the boy ride?" Watto asks, "he smashed up my pod in the last race. It would take some long time to fix it." Watto glances at Anakin disappointedly, as the young boy looks a bit shameful.

"It wasn't my fault," Anakin defends himself, looking over at Qui-Gon, "really. Sebulba flashed me with his vents." Qui-Gon looks over to Watto, as Anakin continues explaining, "I actually saved the pod, mostly."

"Mmm. That you did, huh," Watto chuckles, waving his finger over to Anakin, "the boy's good. No doubts there, huh?

"I have acquired a pod in a game of chance, the fastest ever built," Qui-Gon says, glancing over to Anakin. Glancing back to Watto, Qui-Gon folds his arms over his chest.

"I hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it, huh?" Watto asks the man. Qui-Gon laughs lightly, a small smirk playing at his lips. "So, you supply the pod and the entry fee, I supply the boy. We split the winnings, um 50-50, I think, huh?"

Qui-Gon walks forward, speaking to Watto, "if it's going to be 50-50, I suggest you front the cash for the entry." Walking to the other side of the shop, turning to stare at Watto, "if we win, you keep all the winnings, minus the cost of the parts I need. And if we lose, you keep my ship," Qui-Gon paces back to his original spot. "Either way, you win."

Watto rubs his chin, grumbling in thought. After another moment of Watto grumbling, he speaks up, "deal!" Qui-Gon holds his hand out, Watto slaps the man's hand. Qui-Gon grins proudly, leaving the shop, as Anakin looks over to Watto. "Your friend is a foolish one, me thinks." Anakin folds his arms, staring at the Toydarian strongly.

Obi-Wan stands in the engine room of the ship, holding his comlink close, "what if this plan fails, Master? We could be stuck here for a very long time."

Qui-Gon's voice is heard through the comlink, "well, it's too dangerous to call for help," Obi-Wan thinking strongly. "And a ship without a power supply isn't going to get us anywhere." Qui-Gon stands by the steps of the homes in Mos Espa, looking out at the horizon. "And there's something about this boy. And the girl, she's emitting a strong sense of power. I've seen a small bit of it." Clicking the comlink off, Qui-Gon puts it back on his belt as Shmi walks out and towards him. "You should be very proud of your son. He gives without any thought of reward."

Standing next to each other, the two adults watch the kids work on the podracer. "Well he knows nothing of greed."

"They both, they have a special power each," Qui-Gon states, glancing down at the woman.

"Yes," Shmi answers.

"He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to have such quick reflexes," the man says, "and Astra. I've never seen anything like her power before. But they both have Jedi traits."