The Stampede. (VAT7K )

...

CRACK!

The wooden cart slid as the wheel sharply fell off the edge of the sheer cliff.

" WoaH! Steady Prometheus!" Varian yelled as the cart was hauled to safety by the old donkey.

" Don't blame the donkey Goggles, you drove straight into that ridge!" Hugo said as he crossed his arms. The two boys both sat in the front of the cart, Nuru and Yong both looked at eachother with tired eyes as they sat in the back of the cart.

" WHO ARE YOU, MY MOTHER?"

" YOU ALMOST GOT US KILLED!"

Varian gave Hugo a glare that could defy most mothers in the world. Hugo gulped.

The gang had been on the road for days, and with no sign of a nearby town, they were forced to climb the sheer, crumbling cliffs of Delvado. The heat in the desert like land had made everyone a little bit extra peeved.

Unfortunately, it made Varian and Hugo's bickering even worse than the usual arguments. Nuru and Yong had to break the two apart 2 times in the last 5 hours.

" Let me drive." Hugo said after a moment as he reached for the reins. Varian's eyes widened as he yanked away the reins of Prometheus away from his reach.

" What? NO WAY!"

" YES WAY! GIMMIE!" Hugo lunged forward to try and grab the reins again, failing as Varian only lifted them farther from his reach.

" Hugo! The last time you drove Prometheus the cart ended up in a river! WE HAD TO PAY YONG'S WEIGHT IN COPPER TO GET IT FIXED!"

Hugo sputtered as he tsked. " So?" He asked with a smug but stern glare.

" SO- you're not driving! EVER!"

Nuru suddenly sat up and grabbed Hugo by the collar of his shirt and yanked him forward.

" What the!-"

" If you two don't stop bickering. I swear, I will yank those earrings out of your ear the hard way Hugo. Is. That. Clear." Nuru said as her hazel eyes gleamed a threatening and blazing yellow in the heat.

Varian sat up and looked ahead, paying attention to the road. Hugo gulped and nodded as Nuru released him. As Nuru went to sit back down in the back of the cart Hugo straightened himself and sulked as he crossed his arms, facing forward.

Another hour went by as the carts wooden wheels cranked over the rocky ground, Varian made sure to turn the sharp turns on the cliffs very slowly.

The sun rose higher in the sky and the heat rose, Nuru had made everyone take a water break, but since they were low on supplies, they had to be rationed.

Yong panted as he used waved a tiny leaf in front of his face in desperation to fan himself.

The boy sighed as he looked up in the sky of endless blue, minus a black dot of a buzzard circling the sky above him.

" We're not dying, right?" He suddenly asked.

Hugo turned and saw the short boy was on his back, staring at the sky as his eyes stared unblinking.

" I'm not, but you might be." Hugo snarkily piped as he scoffed and turned back towards the road.

Varian rolled his eyes as he scanned the terrain above and beyond the cliffs. A herd of wild bison were grazing near a gorge.

" Guys, there's a really narrow turn up ahead, so i'm gonna need Nuru and Yong to stay on the left side of the cart for balance so it doesn't go over the edge, you too Hugo. And stay quiet, one noise can spook those bison and cause a stampede. " Varian said seriously as he turned to the three.