Chapter 3 - Moon 3

Start from the beginning

"Where are we going nowww?" Snowkit complained, "Can't we just spend one day relaxing?"

"Shut up Snowkit, we spend all the days relaxing," Violetkit snapped, "I have a good idea."

"That sounds ominous." Ivykit muttered, but had no choice but to follow Violetkit.

"So..." Violetkit began once they were out of earshot of Windfur, "we've almost explored the whole camp, right? All except one place."

"No." Redkit blurted out.

Snowkit stopped grooming herself, looking shocked, "You can't mean..."

Ivykit scanned the clearing. The Warriors den she had never seen, but she knew her littermates had snuck into. The nursery, of course, and she spent most of her time in the Elders den, trying to avoid Violetkit. The medicine cat den was empty, with Birchpaw trying to empty old tried herbs out of the stone shelves. Then her eyes landed on Acornstar's den.

Acornstar slept in a cave on the rock wall overlooking the camp. The only way into her den was using the meeting rock as a stepping stone.

"What if she catches us? She might delay our apprenticeship!" Snowkit was meowing worriedly.

"Are you a scared mouse? Redkit, you're in, right?" Violetkit turned her piercing purple gaze to Redkit, who even though he was bigger then her, seemed to shrink.

"I'm in," he sighed.

Next Violetkit turned to Ivykit, who glanced back at the den. Ivykit really did not want to do this. Being an apprentice was the only chance she had at escaping her dreary life in the nursery. "Ivykit, you're in. Riiiiight?" Violetkit snarled.

Ivykit nodded, looking down at her paws, heart thumping.

"Well I suppose I'll come then," Snowkit meowed, sounding exasperated.

Violetkit sat up, tail swishing, "Perfect!"

The four kits approached Acornstar's den, their small paws making soft sounds on the rocks. Ivykit couldn't help but feel a mix of excitement and nervousness despite herself. He kept scanning the camp, but most of the Warriors were on evening patrol or basking in the late sun.

"Ivykit, you go first to make sure Acornstar isn't in there," Violetkit hissed.

"What?" Ivykit squeaked, "me?"

Violetkit frowned at her, and Ivykit knew what was coming if she didn't obey. She turned and regretfully leapt onto the stump.

She stared up at Acornstar's den, then glanced behind her once more. Redkit, Violetkit and Snowkit were huddled together, whispering. When Violetkit saw her glance back, she glared at her in an expression that clearly said "move it!" Ivykit took a deep breath and climbed up the rock face.

Peeking inside, she saw Acornstar sleeping peacefully. Her fur glowed with the golden light filtering through the den's entrance. Ivykit's heart raced in her chest, and she began to back out the entrance.

"Now!" Ivykit spun around too late to see Snowkit, Redkit and Violetkit shoved into her back, sending her sprawling into the den. She let out a yowl of alarm, sending a pebble straight into Acornstar's side.

"What are you doing here?" Acornstar's voice was calm, but her gaze was sharp.

Ivykit stammered, "We... we were just curious, Acornstar. We didn't mean to-"

"We? I see only one kit, do not try to blame your clanmates for this." Acornstar interrupted, "Curiosity is natural, but entering another cat's den without permission is not. You must learn to respect boundaries."

Ivykit felt a mixture of guilt and fear. Acornstar's disappointment weighed heavily on her.

"You are still a kit, and there are rules that must be followed. Leave my den and remember this lesson," Acornstar instructed.

Ivykit hastily retreated, tail between her legs. Outside the den, her littermates were nowhere to be seen. She slowly plodded back to her den, feeling lower than ever.

○○○

A couple weeks later, Birchpaw approached her while she was trying to scrounge some scraps from Snowkit's mouse (Redkit had eaten Ivykit's share), "Can I see you for a second, Ivykit?"

Ivykit looked up, surprised. Birchpaw already looked moons older than when he'd been named apprentice. Ivykit hadn't been paying much attention, but she knew he went back and forth between the Clan Of Swaying Grass and their camp a lot, always looking stressed.

"What is it?" She asked once they were out of earshot of her littermates.

"Your cuts, of course," Birchpaw said tartly, gesturing at her.

Ivykit looked down at her paws in embarrassment. She was cut up again; Violetkit had gotten mad at her for something (Ivykit couldn't even remember) and she and Redkit had taken it out. "I'm fine."

"I'm the Medcine Cat, so I'll be deciding who's fine and who's not," Birchpaw said, pulled herbs out of his storage. "Seriously, you should consider going to Acornstar. What those kits are doing to you- that isn't normal play."

Ivykit looked up in surprise. "You and your brother don't act like that?"

"Stars, no!" His usually sharp eyes looked almost sad, "now let me treat those wounds."

Ivykit sat in silence while he applied heps and what looked like spider webs to her cuts and bruises. Her thoughts raced in circles. She had no idea what her littermates were doing was unfair or cruel, that was just how life was. But it is unfair, she thought, I don't deserve that. "Birchpaw, do you think Winterpaw could teach me some defense moves?"

"Winterpaw won't be much help, and what do you think I am, your messenger? Ask him yourself," but despite his harsh tone, his eyes glowed with approval.

This is the clan leader, Acornstar. She is the mother to Winterpaw and Birchpaw and the mate to Pebbleclaw.

❤️Don't forget to vote or comment if you like the chapter! Thanks, I love you all!! 😘