Chapter 41: Enter the Fog

Começar do início

Sanji stiffened at the mention of Germa before be placed a cup of tea on the table next to me.

"Well you're not wrong, but why would you need intel on them?" He sat down on the other side of the table.

"Just a feeling I suppose. No real reason." I replied. It's not like I can say while after a couple of years I know that we are going to have a run in with these people. "Besides, even if they aren't great people, their abilities are impressive for humans."

"I suppose." Sanji drawed out.

"Even so, they are missing the most important thing."

"What would that be?"

"Humanity, ya know? What's the use of all that power if you don't have a heart to go with it."

Sanji hummed in agreement. "I see your interest. Is this feeling you mentioned what's been making you train so hard recently?"

Now it was my turn to freeze momentarily. How could I explain I was training for a war to save one of my best friends without sounding crazy. "Yeah, that and my time with you guys is starting to run low." I pet the sleeping Chi.

"What do you mean?" Sanji questioned, concerned.

"My birthday is coming soon, which is when I have to start my next island tradition. I'll be leaving a little before then, so I can start on time. Don't worry though, we've still got about a month." I take a sip of my tea, letting the warm liquid fill me with a calming warmth.

Sanji also seemed to need a calmer since he pulled out a cigarette. He pulled out his lighter afterwards, attempting to light the thing only for it to fall each time.

"Here." I say, holding up my pointer finger then igniting it with the flame flame ability. "Even though I can't stand the smell of smoke, I'll do you a solid since your food is always delicious."

Sanji chuckled as I lit the cigarette. "A smoke smoke user who doesn't like smoke?"

"Yeah, go figure, right?" I turn to look back out the window to see a heavy fog settling around the water's surface. I sigh. "Speaking of smoke, it appears that we are nearing the Florian Triangle based on all this fog." I commented before looking at the blonde. "Shall we head up?" I question, earning a nod in return.

I nudged Chi who wouldn't budge, so I simply carried her in my arms as we left the kitchen to join the others on deck.

"Treasure! A treasure of silver and gold! Pieces nice and big!" Nice and-" I heard the trio of morons singing, which included Usopp, Chopper, and to no one's surprise, Luffy.

"Nope! That barrel contains booze and food." Nami ruined their parade.

"How would you know if you haven't looked inside?" Luffy challenged the navigator.

"Doesn't the banner say, 'offering of treasure to the sea god'?" She read the blue banner on the barrel that they had hauled to deck. "It's called the 'drifting barrel'. It means someone made an offering to the sea god in hopes of a safe voyage." She explained further.

"That bites! So we can't do anything with it?" Usopp complained.

"It's for the best." I respond, taking a seat on the bench on the main mast next to Zoro. I placed Chi in my lap, so she could continue her sleep comfortably.

"Since we picked it up, let's drink the booze!" Zoro suggests.

"Stupid! The god will get angry with you!" Usopp yelled at him.

"You can drink it as long as you pray first." Nami states.

I shake my head. "That's not how that works." I sweatdrop at the suggestion.