My fingers tapped against my thigh, a subconscious attempt to ground myself as my eyes refused to cooperate. My blurred vision painted a desolate portrait.

"Maya- Maya are you even listening"

"Huh- what?" I look up, trying to figure out who was talking.

"Forget it" Mason mumbles and looks away as I stand.

"I'll be back" I say before making my way upstairs to the room.

Climbing the stairs to my room, each step is a delicate negotiation between clarity and suffocation. As my vision clears, so does the stark reality of an unknown affliction. The clarity only intensifies the sense of isolation, and with every breath, the weight on my chest becomes an unbearable burden- it tightens with each ascending breath, a subtle reminder that I am not okay.

I breathe in and out, calmly opening up my bags and trying to find my medication.

I know I kept it here.

I am sure I did.

"What are you looking for?" The voice suddenly startles me and I look behind me to see Miles and Mason standing by the doorway.

"It's nothing" I smile, standing up and sitting on the edge of the very messy bed.

Mason sits next to me and places his head on my shoulder making me frown.

"What's wrong?" I ask, worried about if something was bothering him as I place my arm around his shoulder, pulling him closer.

"What happen-"

"Can you stop?" He suddenly snaps taking me by surprise and I pull my hand away. "Can you please just stop trying to ask me if I'm alright when clearly you aren't?"

"Mason" Miles tone is cold- one I know too well. He was warning him to stop.

There is a thick atmosphere and it is about to be broken with Miles speaking up but instead is interrupted by a knock on the open door.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but Ms.Wilson is asking for you" he lies blatantly but Miles buys it and walks away, past Louis, who stood by the door, his fingers pulling on the sleeves' threads as he lies.

"Hey Mason?"

"Hm?"

"I think Celine might be looking for you- something about wanting to bake in this weather" he says and Mason gets up, passing me a sad smile before leaving.

Louis closes the door behind him as he enters and looks at the opened bag on the ground.

"You didn't have to lie you know?" I ask, watching him pick up my unnecessary mess and he hums.

"Well, clearly you are bit ready for the conversation" he mumbles, picking up and opening my purse before handing me my meds.

I sit there dumbfounded at how he knew what I was looking for but dont question it as he pours me a glass of water from the side table and hands it to me.

He sits in front of me, on the ground, legs crossed and looks up at me. He stays quiet not saying anything before taking my empty hand after I take the medication and sip on the water slowly.

"Ms. Hayes, I know you don't want to hear it and I'm probably not in the position to tell you this but Mason was right you know?"

He pauses, lightly playing with my fingers.

"You will lose yourself if all you do is try to look out for others"

A chuckle escapes my lips and I shake my head slowly.

There isn't much to lose now anyway.

"Louis, do you think this is a punishment of sorts? Of some evil I must've done unknowingly?"

He laughs. "Only if you count firing people as evil"

"I'm not that bad you know? I never actually fire anyone unless it is completely necessary. Everyone else I so called fired are just people I sent to positions that I felt were better fit for them. I know better than to take away everything from someone who might be living from my paychecks"

"Hell even my mom used to live from paychecks to earn her stay at the house" a humorless chuckle escapes my lips as I stare ahead.

A/N:

I'm really sorry for the late reply! Ive had a super busy schedule these past few weeks and I'll be sure to make up for it!

Anyways I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I'll see you in the next one

If you want to post anything on TikTok or wherever about be my valentine? please tag me:

Justabrownie.e on Instagram and TikTok
&
Justabrownie_e on Twitter

Thank you for reading my weekly rant and follow my socials to get more sneak peaks of future projects and chapters!

Here are some questions for you to answer Xx

THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS ABOUT THE STORY SO FAR <<

PREDICTIONS FOR THE FUTURE CHAPTERS <<

FAVORITE CHARACTER(s) <<

YOUR CURRENT READS (physical or wattpad books) <<

And finally, question of the week: what was the best book you've read this year? <<<