First Impressions

Start from the beginning

It's a distraction, being busy, and Sun buried himself in his work. Their English teacher is a nice lady, and they'd want to get the best score they can get so as to not disappoint.

(She had gotten disappointed. She had gotten angry.)

They didn't want anyone to get angry at them. They hated arguments.

Where had this memory gotten out off, anyway? It felt old. How old were they? It's old, old, old. Where had it come from? They can't seem to remember...

What had they done to deserve that punishment?

-x-

"No, I didn't!" Sun cried out.

"Well, it's broken!" Ms. Grey yelled, pointing a finger at the broken mirror. "Do you know how much I'd pay to get this replaced?" Her finger jabs at their chest and they stumble back.

"I didn't break—"

"Enough!" Came a third voice of a young man, striding towards the two. "I have seen you, so stop lying!"

"I'm not—" Sun tries but gets shut when a hand grabs for his shirt, yanking him closer to the tanned woman. "I-I promise!" He stutters out, feeling tears well in his eyes. His heart hammered, anticipation eating at his edges. Their fingers twitched, urging to hold the offending hand grabbing them, but they didn't relent. They are in enough trouble as is.

Ms. Grey yanks harsher, starting with purposeful strides towards the door, dragging Sun behind, who, in his shaky state, can't fight back. "Everyone has seen you— if you would stop lying!" She hisses, her hand grips tighter in anger, the other opening the door in one stiff move. The door bounces against the wall when it hits it, earning a BANG to be heard.

The chill of winter frosted their bare skin, biting at their edges. Snow covered the ground, thick and cold. Sun gasps, having an idea of what their owner planned to do, and tried to break her grip on his shirt. It doesn't budge. "Please—"

A small cabin comes into view and Ms. Grey yanks the door open— it creaks loudly from disuse. The darkness inside greeted them. "When you learn to stop lying, then I will forgive you!" Her tanned hands push forward, and Sun all but falls on his back. They are frozen in place, fear gripping their heart like a bear-trap. They can't breathe. "I hate to do this, but you need to learn." Her eyes were colder than ice, glaring daggers at the shaking form on the ground. And, with a twist of her hand, the door is closed and locked.

Sun throws himself at the door, afraid to bang on it, but he still tries to push— see if it opens. It doesn't budge. "I'm sorry!" He cries out, running cold hands down the wooden old door, the wooden frame cold against his shaky hands. "I won't do it again!" He hadn't done anything in the first place, but any word might help. None did. "Hello?!"

The wooden door is what stares at them in pity, the cold biting at their edges is like a freezing embrace. The frost on the ground is a bed they dread lying on, but Sun finds nothing to seek shelter under. The cold made them shiver, teeth clacking against each other as the night passed by. It's cold and dark, the pitch blackness they see through the cracks is terrifying, as if they were utterly alone and freezing. They are.

Sun hugs himself, any form of warmth he'll take, but it is never enough. He can't warm up enough, not with the excuse of a shirt he's wearing. The cabin is dark, its roof cracked and broken. He felt utterly defeated.

They shook, trembling in their spot. How long had it been? Surely not long. How much till dawn? When the sun will rise and for it to become warmer? Sun didn't know. He was cold.