Chapter 21

LENA

The girls stare at me momentarily, but Sasha clears her throat and looks at me. "What do you mean, what do mates do?" she asked, looking at me, confused.

"Didn't Emmett tell you he was your soulmate?" Claudia said, looking around and then back at me.

I stared at her for a moment before I spoke again. "Yes," I said. "But I didn't exactly ask what it meant."

Whitney and Sasha stared at me as a smile inched the corners of their mouths. "You didn't?" Claudia asked. "You should have."

Frowning, I kept my eyes on them. "What am I missing?" I asked. "Tell me."

Whitney giggled as Claudia spoke. "Soulmates or mates are being we are fated to," she said. "We are destined to be together with that person."

"So, I am—" I asked, looking and feeling more confused, which made Whitney giggle again.

"Lena," Sasha said, looking at me more amused than anything. "You are his everything, as in his lover and soulmate."

My eyes widened.

Now that makes sense.

Fuck.

"So, we are together then," I said, looking between them. All three nodded as Whitney smiled. "Sorry for laughing," she said. "But you seem to be on cloud cuckoo land sometimes."

My cheeks got hot, as I hated when people pointed out my flaws.

"Leave her alone," Claudia said, smiling. "It is refreshing to see. It gets boring after a while when you live with such serious people daily."

"That's true," Sasha muttered. "Being vampires has its own perks but also some major faults. Some of us lose our sense of humour or human ability when it comes to humans."

I said nothing as I listened to them talk. I was learning more about their kind.

The conversation turned from me and vampires to what was happening in the last series of the bachelor. It seems everyone here loves it.

I kept my mouth shut and got on with my drawing when someone's phone pings loud. I glanced up and put the finishing touches to my drawing when Claudia cleared her throat and spoke. "Lean," she said, making me look up at her with a smile. "It seems Emmett is in his office and has asked if you want to have food with him there."

I smiled as the girls giggled.

"Stop being like that," I said, blushing again.

"We can't," Sasha said as we all moved away from the lake and headed back to the house. "I have to admit, I enjoy seeing Emmett like this."

That part got my attention.

"What do you mean?" I asked, glancing at them.

I spotted the look that Whitney gave Sasha, but she ignored her. "Well, he is older than everyone here," she said. "He has never had a girlfriend, and I don't think I have ever seen him with anyone other than you since I came here."

I stared at her, wide-eyed. He never brought anyone home. That was odd. He was a hot guy. Why would he be like that? I mean, men have needs, so what did he—

Images popped into my head of what he could get up to, but I shook them away. I needed to get my head out of the gutter.

"Shall we go?" Claudia said, pulling me from my thoughts. In some way, I was happy she did. We walked back inside the house, and as we approached the office, Sasha and Whitney mentioned they had to get some food.

"You should go with them," I told Claudia as we stood outside Emmett's office.

Claudia looked at me and smiled. "You sure?" she asked. "I don't mind—"

The door opens, and my eyes go straight to the person who opened it. Emmett held the door open and stood there with a smile. His eyes met mine, but he looked at her. "She will be fine with me," he said, looking back at her. "I already had her food sent here before you came."

My eyes went to Claudia, who grinned. "Perfect," she said. "I will catch you later."

I gave her a nod and smiled. I watched as my friend turned on her heel and walked away.

My eyes moved back to Emmett, who seemed to look at me and grinned. "Come on," he said, moving out of the way. I smiled and walked past.

Emmett closed the door but placed his hand on my wrist, pulling me back to him as he stood before me; my eyes met his and widened. His hand went to my waist, pushing me back until I hit the door.

His head moves toward me and goes to the crook of my neck. "God, I missed you," he whispered as his icy breath fanned my skin. His lips pressed to my skin and sent goosebumps all over my body. "Perfect," he murmurs as he lifts his head up and rests on mine.

His eyes met mine as his tongue darts over his bottom lip but pulls away, keeping his hands on my waist. "I hate being a gentleman," he murmurs as I keep my eyes on him. The corners of his lips pull up into a smirk. "What I would do to you, darling," he said, pulling me toward him and grinning. "I will have everyone creaming their pants with the moans I will get from those delicious lips, but I don't want to divulge too much as I want to surprise you."

I clenched my thighs together as his words took effect on my core.

Damn, this man knew how to make me wet with his words.

"If I kiss you," he said, touching my cheek and gently grazing it as his eyes bore into mine. "I don't think I would ever stop."

My mouth went dry. The mere thought of him kissing me had my lady parts quiver and the rest of my body craving his lips on mine.

Fuck, I need to get a grip. This wasn't the way I should be acting.

Clearing my throat, I stayed still. "What have you been doing?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

Emmett smiled. "Thinking about you," he said. "But I have mainly been working in here. I have a surprise for you."

My eyes widened.

"A surprise," I muttered. "For me. Why?"

Emmett grinned. "Come and sit," he said, moving to the side as his hand moved around my waist. "I need to tell you something which might be hard to understand."

We walk further into the office, but my eyes land on his desk where I rolled up paper was leaning against the desk.

Emmett motioned for me to take a seat, and I sat as he moved to behind his desk. His eyes never left mine as he sat down. My eyes moved away as I took in his office and the design of it all. He had clearly designed it all to suit him.

This had his name written all over it, from the colour—red to the dark furniture. I let my eyes skim over every inch I could till I met with something that I hadn't seen for a long time.

Another painting of mine.

My heart spiked as I stared at it. It was one of my favourite paintings, and was even saddened to see it go. But the painting belonged here. It suited the entire scheme of the office.