Chapter 15

EMMETT

Today dragged, but I was waiting for Claudia to come back down. I knew Gage had seen her, but Claudia kicked him out.

Leaning back in my chair, I sighed as the office door opened. I looked to see Gage and Claudia walking in. I moved up and stared at her.

"Well?" I asked.

Claudia smiled.

"She's okay," she said. "She is asleep now. But I also fed her. I will see her tomorrow and tell you more. I didn't want to overload her with too much information."

I nodded, but I moved my head to the side. "What did you tell her?" I asked, feeling slightly concerned.

Claudia looked at me, then back to Gage and me again. "I told her what we are," she said, making Gage's pop. "You did? How did she take it?"

Claudia frowned at him and looked at me. "Well. I think she had some idea, but she knows."

"What did you tell her about me?" I asked, feeling like a teenage boy waiting for his friend to tell him that his crush likes him.

Claudia grinned. "Well, it seems your little mate wants to know more about you," she said. "I didn't know what you wanted me to tell her."

I gave her a nod.

"When do you think I should—" I said, but she shook her head. "I wouldn't show your face just yet," Claudia said, as her eyes softened and motioned toward Gage. "When he came into the room, her heart rate spiked. I needed him to go as soon as or she would have screamed."

I said nothing, but Claudia sighed as she looked at me. "I think give her another two days," she said. "I can tell her more and whatever you want me to tell her about you. Then maybe we can start with you and her having some food together. Just the two of you."

"What about Whitney and Sasha?" Gage asked. "Does she want to see them?"

Claudia shrugged. "I don't know," she said, glancing between us. "She asked what they were, and I told them, but something tells me whatever happened in that room may have triggered more for her between them."

I stared at her and gave her a slight nod.

My mind was racing. I leaned back in my chair and stared at them. "Claudia, I will give you more information about myself that you can tell Lena about," I said and sighed. "I need to explain to her what we are, not you, so leave the mate situation out. I need her to understand that I would never hurt her."

Claudia nodded.

"I will swing by here in the morning before I go to her," she said and placed the key on the desk before me. "If you want to see her, I would do it now while she sleeps. It may ease your mind to know she is safe."

I stared at her, but my eyes went to the key as she continued. "She is wearing your T-shirt," she blurted, which made me look at her as she grinned. "Looks good on her too."

The corners of my lips curled. That was something.

"I will see myself out," she said. "I'm going to need to feed before I go back to see her."

Claudia left the office, leaving Gage and me alone.

Gage moved to the chair in front of me and sighed. "Are you going to see her before she wakes up?" he asked.

I moved up and grabbed the key but looked up at him. He gave me a knowing look as a smirk appeared. "Be careful," he said as he moved from the chair and looked at me. "I know you are fighting an inner battle to see or touch her, but reframe from it. Let her come to you. It will be worth it in the long haul."

I knew he was right as he moved toward the door. "I'm going to find out what the others are doing and ensure they are nowhere around when you see her."

I gave him a nod, and Gage walked out the door.

Glancing at the clock, I knew I should go now as it was getting late and the morning was fast approaching.

Sasha had already got some clothes for Lena from her apartment and art supplies. Maybe having her favourite thing to do will help too.

I moved up from the chair, walked around the desk, and headed toward the door. I needed to see her, and now. I needed to know she was alright, even if I couldn't see her eyes.

I sighed and went through the door, and heading upstairs. No vampire was around, which was something.

I headed toward my room and placed the key in the door. I unlocked it and walked in, only to be hit with my mate's scent.

Pushing the door open further, I walked in, and my eyes landed on the figure in the bed. She was snoring but snuggled up with a sheet covering her.

I frowned.

I walked into the room, headed to the wardrobe, and opened it. I grabbed a fleece blanket and pulled it out. I used my hip to close the door and walked over to her.

Stopping, my eyes landed on her and racked over her little frame. She was wearing my T-shirts. Her scent cascaded over me as I leaned over and removed the sheet from her grip. As soon as the sheet was moved, my eyes went all over her body. She wasn't just wearing a T-shirt, but boxers too.

Lena looked good in my clothes. I may have to get more for her.

I placed the fleece blanket over her and made sure it covered every part of her. I watched as she pulled it up to her shoulder and sighed, which made me still.

My eyes darted to my face, but her eyes were closed.

I stared at her for a moment but traced my finger along her cheek.

Tingles erupted through me as the mate bond kicked in.

It took everything in me not to climb into bed with her and wake her up to devour her like I did last night.

I shook my head and leaned down, pressed my lips to her cheeks. I move closer to her ear. "Come back to me, darling," I whispered faintly.

I pulled back and stood up.

My eyes stayed on her longer, and then I moved. I needed to get out of here before she woke up.

I didn't want to scare her.

Until she comes around, I might have to see her like this, even though this is nothing new. I did this most nights when I watched over her. I waited for the darkness to consume her till I know she was out for the count, and I would watch her sleep.

I was her mate and protector, but also the one who was the monster in her current dreams.

The shadows were merely a stopping ground for me, and now I had to finish what I started, even if it meant she hated me.

I want to claim her. She is my soulmate but also my forever.

I need her like life does for humans, or this will end me.