One

In honor of same sex marriage being legal in all 50 states, I present to you the first chapter of Punk!

Love who you love.x

Calum was a thirteen year old boy that didn't say much. He never liked to keep a conversation going for more than a minute. He sat with his lips seemingly sealed shut all the time, almost always alone.

He always envied this other boy named Luke who always had the full attention of everyone. He was so out going and a chatterbox really.

Calum wanted to be like him.

"And after that, that's your answer." Luke smiled at the girl he was helping with the classwork in front of him.

She seemed to be getting the hang of it now and thanked him with practical heart eyes.

That's the thing with Luke, he's everything Calum wants to be. He's got the brains, all the girls love him, he's funny, he's got friends, he loves talking. He's everything Calum is not, they are complete opposites.

Luke nodded at her, then said goodbye and went to another group that was calling him over.

And that was Calum's day, he would watch Luke have a life he wanted so badly.

Well, he would watch him during his last period class. That was the only class they had together since Luke is a year younger than him.

The bell would ring and everyone would leave. Except Calum. He was always the last one out.

He'd watch everyone scurry out of the class then just slowly pack up and leave too.

He walked home, and when he got home, his house was usually empty due to the fact that both his parents worked and Mali had friends she went with after school.

Calum wasn't majorly depressed, but he was sad most of the time. The only time he wasn't sad was when he would draw. He wanted tattoos when he grew up, ones only that he designed and have special meanings to him.

He got to his room and flopped down on the bed, doing absolutely nothing but staring at the ceiling as if that's all the entertainment in the world.

Eventually though, he looked away and started on his homework, in which he did not get at all. He balled his fists up and slammed them down on the desk in front of him.

"Why is this so damn complicated?" He complained at himself. He ended up breaking his pencil and got even more annoyed.

Then he just gave up, with nothing on the paper but his name and flopped down on the bed again. This time though, he fell asleep.

-

"Calum, I'd like to see you after class." His teacher, Ms. Stevens, announced after handing out their report cards.

He nodded and felt eyes on him. He didn't like that one bit, he didn't even want to know who it was.

The bell rang and Calum stayed behind. He walked over to his teachers desk and sighed, already knowing what she was going to discuss with him.

"Your grades are very poor, Calum. As a concerned teacher, I'd like to know what has caused you to go from a 76% to a 28%."

"I'm just really stupid, okay?" Calum replied.

"Don't say that." A voice said from behind them. Calum turned to look at who it was and he was not disappointed, he knew his voice. Luke walked up to him and placed an arm around his shoulders. "You're not stupid, kid. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself."