12) Heeseung

I'm on edge this morning.

I haven't slept, I stayed up all night waiting for the traitor to show themselves. Then I tortured and killed him.

It's nothing I haven't done before, but it was different this time because it was one of our own. And now the loyalty and trust that Blessed-Cursed depends on has been broken.

I'm supposed to lead and defend us, and what happened here feels like failure. Even as I wash myself clean, the blood of the Blessed-Cursed members who died will always be on my hands.

So needless to say, my mood is less than sparkling, and it only darkens more when I lay eyes on Jaeyun wearing Sunghoon's sweatshirt.

I can't help the pang of jealousy that courses through me.

Hoon has been acting weird ever since we kidnapped the prince. I see the way he stares at Jake, and it's a look filled with hunger.

He's never looked at me that way.

The thought comes bitterly and out of nowhere, so I squash it before I can start to question if there's more than one reason for my jealousy.

Sunghoon insisted on being the one to go after the rival gang last night, and when he brought Jaeyun back, they spent the night together.

It feels as if a claim has been staked.

But I'm nothing if not competitive, and I won't let the prince slip through my fingers so easily.

Hoon, Jay and I are walking to get breakfast when my eye catches on Jake at the other side of camp.

He's alone, and heading for Sunghoon's tent.

My feet are taking me there before my brain even has a chance to catch up, and I mutter to Jay and Hoon that I'll be right back, but I don't plan to be.

Lack of sleep and the after effects of inflicting torture have left me unhinged, and the sight of Jaeyun looking for Sunghoon sends me over the edge.

He doesn't even notice me until I'm right beside him, and he physically jumps in surprise when I take his wrist and pull him with me into a nearby tent.

It must be where some of the circus troupe were staying, because it's filled with beds, storage crates and trunks. But there's no one here right now.

"What-" Jake starts but I don't let him finish as I back him into a stack of boxes and slam my mouth into his.

I don't know what it is about the prince, but I've been dying to get him alone again, like an addict in need of their next fix.

He makes a noise against my lips and pushes me away, keeping his hands on my chest.

"What are you doing?" He asks, breathing hard.

"Saying hello." I respond, looking at him through lidded eyes and taking his jaw in my hand.

I run my gaze over his bruises and my blood boils.

"Are you alright? Did they hurt you anywhere else? Did Sunghoon-"

"I'm fine." He says quickly.

He also does an assessment of me, and I know I must look a little crazy.

I feel a little crazy.

"Are you ok? You look like you need sleep." He says.

I shake my head.

"That can wait, I want something else more right now."

His eyes drop to my lips, so I lean in and kiss him again, more gently this time.