10) Sunghoon

Alright you asked for it x

(Final reminder / warning - this story is rated mature for a reason - things are about to get spicy 🌶️)

-
-
-

Pure, boiling rage courses through me as I cradle Jake's face in my hands.

He's bruised, and his lip is bleeding.

I'm ready to turn around and hunt down every last miserable coward from the rival gang that ran, but the way Jaeyun is looking at me right now with such awe keeps me rooted before him.

It doesn't make sense, only yesterday I was tempted to kill him, and didn't particularly care if it hurt when I cut him with a letter opener.

But tonight, when he got taken away, the thought of anyone laying a hand on him made me go insane.

I've always been protective of the things that belong to me, I don't share, and I don't forgive when someone tries to steal from me. Whether it's my position in Blessed-Cursed, which I have killed to defend, or even just my clothes, which I gave Jay a black eye for borrowing once without permission.

I don't understand why, but I feel that same possessive rush when I look at the prince. He's gazing back at me without a hint of fear or disgust, despite the violence I just unleashed.

The firelight beside us dances in the reflection of his eyes, and I have a moment of clarity.

I don't want to see him hurt, and I don't want to see him with anyone else.

He's mine.

Jake might not know it yet, but he will soon enough.

His lips part to speak, and I run my thumb over the bottom one, wiping the blood away.

"You're here." His voice is barely audible.

I nod, murmuring my reply. "I'm here. I've got you."

He doesn't look like he has the strength to stand, so I lift him into my arms and with my team at my back we walk out of the desecrated camp, stepping over bodies.

I don't let myself think too much about how I nearly became one of them.

I would have been dead if not for Jungwon. We all might have been. Tonight has proven his worth.

We're using the circus troupe to get us across city borders undetected, but once they've served their purpose we should find a way to keep the sharpshooter.

I glance down at the boy in my arms, the one born to be a king. Heeseung was right, Jake would also be a powerful ally to have. His support and influence would make our claim on the throne irrefutable.

Maybe he won't help us, but whether he does or not, I won't let him go.

I carry Jaeyun all the way back to our campsite, and by the time we arrive the adrenaline that fueled me has faded, leaving exhaustion in its wake.

Both Blessed-Cursed and the circus performers watch as we approach, their expressions a mix of relief and concern.

I pause and look back to check on Jay, who's being carried between a couple of our men.

He's conscious enough to flash me a bloody grin as they pass, and Jungwon follows them close behind.

The ringleader meets my eye and I give him a single nod of recognition and thanks before going on my way.

I don't say a word to anyone as I make my way through the camp with Jake.

I could take him back to his own tent, which he had set up to share with Heeseung, but I don't want to.