9) Jungwon

Quick warning - violent shit is about to go down

-
-
-

The campfires crackle and pop, casting a warm glow over the clearing. I sit back where I was with Sunoo and Jake earlier, but they seem to have disappeared off somewhere.

The camp is alive with music and chatter, and it's strange to watch my circus performers mingle with the Blessed-Cursed gangsters, unaware of who they really are as they enjoy the night together.

Our strong-man and a couple of the acrobats convinced me to start drinking with them, and so now I find myself nursing my fourth cup of alcohol, feeling the effects start to take hold.

I've always been a bit of a lightweight, and tonight is no exception. I don't often indulge in it, but I think I need it after the stress of the last 24 hours.

I glance up and see Jay is still sitting by the fire too, surrounded by his gang members. He turns my way so I quickly look back down, but I can feel his gaze on me, and it sends chills through my body.

I take another sip of my drink, the liquid burning its way down my throat. The world is starting to blur, and I feel a sudden need to get away from the heat of the fire.

I stand, swaying a little and walk off.

No one pays me much attention, too caught up in their revelry.

I head away from the camp, weaving my way through the trees. The darkness envelops me, but I don't care. I just need to clear my head.

As I walk deeper into the woods, the sounds of laughter and music fade away, replaced by the rustling of leaves and the hooting of owls. The air is cool and damp, and I can feel the moisture clinging to my skin. I should have brought a jacket, but I didn't think I would be gone for long.

I continue walking aimlessly, my mind clouded and my heart heavy with conflicting emotions.

Blessed-Cursed are using me and my circus for their own gain, and even though we stand to benefit from helping them, I still resent the fact that we don't really have a choice.

And Jay seems to enjoy riling me up.

Earlier, as our group all travelled together, I rode beside Hanni, one of the circus musicians. When we stopped for a break we sat together and talked, she was sweet and I found her presence soothing.

There was a rumour going around once that she liked me, but whether that was true or not I thought it was harmless, and I'd never avoid her because of it.

But then as we sat side by side today, she turned to me suddenly.

"Sorry if this is weird to to say out of the blue, but... I think you're really amazing. Are you dating anyone right now?"

The question took me by surprise, and I'd just opened my mouth to respond no, when an arm was slung over my shoulders and Jay sat next to me, pulling me in to him.

"Yeah, he is." He said bluntly, looking pointedly at Hanni, who blushed deeply.

My own face probably also went as red as a tomato, but not wanting to cause a scene, I just knocked Jay's arm off and stood up.

"Let's get going." I instructed everyone, walking back to my horse.

I started adjusting the saddle and stirrups, then I felt someone's presence right behind me.

"Go away." I said without turning around.

"That's no way to treat your boyfriend."

I slowly span to face Jay, who's smile was somehow both innocent and wicked.