Chapter 02

Chapter 02
Infiltrated

Ty awoke with a jolt the following morning, surrounded by the luxurious furniture and decorations of his chambers. He could hear the sound of the servants moving about outside his door, as they prepared for the day's activities. Stretching as he sat up in bed, he took in a deep breath, letting the cool morning air fill his lungs. He still couldn't believe where he was, what his job entailed, and still thinking about such a memorable night before with meeting the Princess he now swore to protect. It was all very surreal. Standing up, he then walked over to the window and peered out, taking in the beautiful view of the surrounding landscape. The sun had not yet risen above the castle walls, but he could hear the sounds of his men-at-arms going about their morning duties, horses stamping and the clanging of swords echoing in his ears.

Alexandria looked beyond gorgeous from this view and at that very moment, Ty couldn't help but feel a sense of pride and duty. He was his Royal Highness' guard and he had sworn to protect her, the kingdom, and its people. It was a responsibility he was to take seriously, and he was ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

He dressed quickly, donning his armor and buckling his sword at his side. He stepped out of his chambers, through the castle halls, and into the bustling courtyard, hearing the sound of horses milling and neighing all around him. He made his way to the stables, his boots echoing on the stone floor.

"Good morning, Sir," the stable master greeted Ty, tipping his hat respectfully. He was a grizzled old man with a thick beard and calloused hands who held a pleasant smile.

Ty nodded in return, observing the strong well-favored animals before him. He inspected each one closely, checking for signs of injury or illness. He fed them, brushed them, and checked their hooves, making sure they were in top condition. It was a routine he had been performing since he was a young lad in the barracks, and it was one he took seriously. The horses were his companions, his partners in battle, and he needed them to be in top condition to have any chance of success on the battlefield. As he finished his inspection, he heard the sound of the castle bell ringing out, signaling the start of the day's activities.

"There you are." Came a familiar voice from behind that caught his attention promptly.

"Good morning, Marx." Ty responded with a smile as he approached.

"A congratulation is in order, Sir Pierson, her Royal Highness' guard. Well done. I am very proud of the man you have become." Marx chuckled, patting him on the back. "Have Sir Geoffrey and Lady Qualen awoken yet? We have to speak with the King as soon as possible."

"Thank you for your kind words, I shall not let you down. And Yes, I believe so. Is everything in order?"

"I do not wish to bestow bad news on your first official day here at the castle, but it is of immediate concern. Let us go at once."

The throne room. It was the castle's formal audience room for their sovereign, King Ambrose, used for important meetings, ceremonies, and to request an audience to speak to the royals. It was a grand and imposing room, with stone walls, polished marble floors, torches aligned on the walls, and a long runner carpet that led to the dais with three steps for where the nobles sat. On each side of the room stood large stone statues of past leaders in remembrance and large stained glass windows much like in the grand hall.

Marx entered the room with the three newly appointed guards and was first to approach the throne, his footsteps echoing loudly in the vast space. He dropped to one knee and bowed his head as he presented himself to his Lord. Ty and the others soon followed suit to pay their respects with a bow to their leader.

"Welcome." King Ambrose began speaking. "You may rise."

"Your Majesty," Marx spoke, "thank you for an audience with his most gracious."