~34~

"Massimo what is going on?" Cordelia asked but got nothing more for an answer but...

"One bag per person." Massimo said before turning around and leaving.

"Matteo?"

"I don't know either. But it's important so start packing."

'Lia went quickly to her own room to pack. Massimo said one bag per person. She took a black duffle bag from her closet, dropped it on her bed and started to fill it with only necessary things. She had no idea where they were going so she packed a bit of everything. Warm and lighter clothes.

After ten minutes she was ready and met Laura, Matteo and Massimo at the front door.

"Where's Diego?" Matteo asked.

"He came by earlier and said that he would go out." Laura explained.

"Did he say where?"

"No. But he said he wouldn't be back till late in the evening." 'Lia spoke.

"He needs to come back. Right now." Massimo spoke and pulled his phone out of his pocket to call him.

"So where are we going?" 'Lia questioned.

"To a safe house. We'll leave in Matteo's car. It won't draw that much attention to us. They know my cars." Massimo answered while waiting for Diego to answer the phone.

"Who?" Laura asked.

"Doesn't matter right now." Massimo answered. "Everyone's here so we need to leave."

Cordelia and Laura got in the backseat of Matteo's car while Matteo sat in the driver's seat and started to drive. Massimo sat next to him on the passenger seat.

"How about Diego?" 'Lia asked.

"He will join us as soon as possible. He knows where to go." Massimo answered. "Matteo, where's your phone?"

"In my right pocket." He answered, not taking his eyes off the road.

Massimo took Matteo's phone from his pocket and turned it off before doing the same to his own phone.

"Turn your phones off." Massimo spoke over his shoulder to the backseat.

'Lia had learned through the years that if either Massimo or her brothers ask her to do something in a serious situation, she does exactly that. So she took her phone, turned it off and gave it to Massimo.

Laura was hesitant at first but did the same after 'Lia nudged her arm slightly.

After turning their phones off the four just sat silently while Matteo drove the car.

It took two hours for them to get to the safe house. It was a two-storied cottage made of dark almost black wood. It definitely wouldn't grow any suspicions towards them. Matteo drove the car into the garage and Massimo closed the garage door behind them.

All of them took their bags and walked inside the house. Massimo told everyone to leave their bags in the hallway and to get in the living room.

Diego was already sitting on one of the couches waiting for them.

"Where were you?" Massimo stormed up to Diego.

"With a... with a friend." Diego answered although none of us bought what he said.

"Fucking some woman again?"

"No. I wasn't." Diego defended himself.

"You needed to be home."

"I can't just be home all the time. I have my own life." Diego defended himself.

"You are part of this. You are part of this family."

"I fucking know that! Of course I know that. Have I ever shown any signs that made you question that I didn't care about this family?"

"Well if you-"

"Massimo." Laura interrupted him. "It doesn't matter. Diego did nothing wrong. He's here now, everyone is safe and nothing has happened."

"You don't know that!" Massimo shouted.

"What do you mean Massimo? Who is in danger, why are we here?" 'Lia walked up to him.

Massimo's eyes softened when he looked at her.

"I will tell. But not now. I'll tell you all when the time is right." He answered and then sighed. "There's three rooms. Pick your own. You do need to share." Massimo spoke and walked out of the room.

"Laura and I will share." 'Lia spoke up and pulled Laura up from the couch.

"Good." Matteo nodded with a small smile. "Everything will be okay."

'Lia and Laura nodded and exited the room. They took both of their bags from the front door and walked up the stairs where the bedrooms were.

"How about this one?" Cordelia asked when she opened one of the doors.

Behind the door opened a small cozy room but still big enough for two. There was a double bed, a small couch with a small bookshelf next to it, a table with a mirror hanging over it on the wall. And lastly a fluffy carpet on the floor.

"It's good." Laura nodded. "Do you have any idea how long we are going to stay here?"

'Lia sighed and set her duffle bag on top of the bed. "No idea. Massimo obviously knows the reason why we're here."

"But when is he going to tell us?"

"We just have to wait. I guess he has a good reason why he won't tell. To keep all of us safe."

"He said that one of us is in danger. Maybe we could figure out who it is." Laura suggested.

'Lia shook her head. "No. Trying to play a detective never works. And it might put us in more danger. Things are usually never this serious that we would need to come here. So this definitely is serious."

"Then what should we do? Just wait until things calm down?"

"Yes. Come on now. There's a huge bathtub in the basement. Let's go and lay in the bubble bath and drink a few glasses of champagne. If we need to be here, let's at least make ourselves comfortable." 'Lia smiled and Laura nodded in agreement.

_____________________

This was more of a filler chapter.