C H A P T E R 1 1

Scotlynd held the coffee mug in her hand letting the warmth trickle through her fingers

Scotlynd held the coffee mug in her hand letting the warmth trickle through her fingers. Her mind was looping in and out of the conversation that her friends were having, her focus was occupied somewhere else. Distraction. She scanned the room and a subtle smile accompanied her seeing Jovi chewing on her teething toy. The scene was anything but gracious as slob flowed down the baby's cheeks.

"Scottie, girl are you even listening to us," Tessa asked, shifting the baby on her lap.

Scotlynd snapped her head their way and sent a nod towards Khavi and Tessa. Truly she was beyond this room, even as her physical body sat. Just as she was about to speak a ding from her phone took her attention. A chuckle left her lips at her friend's groans,  as she stood to take the call. "Just give me one second and I'll be back," she whispered to them as she pushed the chair to the table and turned to the door.

"Hello?"

"À vaillant coeur rien d'impossible." The French words emanated from his tongue like petals of flowers in the wind. He held an elegance to him that was unruly.

She pulled the phone back and stared for a moment before placing it back to her ear with a smile. The talent that lined this man was poignant. The giddiness inside her felt like she was a schoolgirl again. Areli Baptise was a once-in-a-lifetime type of man, and she knew it. Hell, he knew it. Scotlynd leaned against the wall and blushed so hard that her skin was red all over even her pigmented spots. "And what does that mean?"

He chuckled lightly. "Trust, ma. What did I tell you about trusting a nigga, I'll never steer you wrong bèl fanm." Scotlynd felt the air bottle in her throat and she barely could release it. For some strange reason, she believed him.

"I want to see you." He said. Scotlynd laughed because his words were more of a statement not necessarily a question.

"Are you asking?" She teased as she shifted on her feet to try to conceal the autumn air. "Areli, how do you know I want to see you? We are friends and all but I'm a busy woman and—."

"I'm not asking." He cut to her. "You want to see a nigga too, or you wouldn't be entertaining the conversation." Scotlynd was sure that she couldn't be redder from blushing if she tried. The heat radiating through her body was more than enough to melt the mountains in Aspen. He was more than cocky, the nigga was sure of himself and that was admirable.

Her hands cuffed the lone strand of hair behind her ear. "I do," Scotlynd said, a voice as tiny as a mouse. "But We can't." The gravitational pull he had was intense, and she wasn't sure she had enough strength to hold off of him. Areli had become a friend, a piece of paper for her diary, a kind soul that she didn't think existed anymore. However, Scotlynd understood the lines between right and wrong. He knew Sevyn, and although he had wounded her more deeply than the skin could show. She couldn't do that to him. Because before they were anything more, Sevyn was her friend. In this confusion, she still wanted to hold onto that tiny piece of him.