Act Two: Scene Four

(The bedroom, adorned with opulent Narcissian decor, echoes with a haunting silence. The grand canopy bed, draped in luxurious fabrics, dominates the room. Golden light filters through the ornate windows, casting intricate patterns on the polished floor. A sense of anticipation lingers in the air as the protagonist awaits the unfolding events)

Protagonist: (melancholy) Why must a place so aesthetically pleasing be tainted by the presence of ruthless souls? Within the hearts of the Narcissians, a voracious maw of greed consumes every trace of benevolence, leaving behind a poisoned well of intentions. The radiant bonds of camaraderie are cruelly sundered by the blade of ambition, strangled by ethereal spectres conjured by the illusions of lofty aspirations It feels as though a malevolent puppeteer revels in their affliction, orchestrating a symphony of sickness. Perhaps it’s the allure of wealth that has ensnared them, a tempting elixir that corrupts even the noblest of intentions.

(High-Exarch Onyx, adorned in an opulent robe with rich gemstone embellishments, enters the room. Her compassionate eyes reflect both kindness and wisdom, and the gems she adores sparkle in the dim light. A warm presence surrounds her, contrasting the harsh reality of Narciss)

High-Exarch Onyx: (Gracefully) Greetings, fair one. I am Onyx, High-Exarch of Xyrolith. My heart delights in the radiance of precious gems and in the beauty that transcends mere material. What solace does this chamber bring thee in the midst of our intricate and tumultuous world?

Protagonist: (Surprised) A High-Exarch gracing my prison? Pray, what brings thee to my “quarters”?

High-Exarch Onyx: (Kindly) My dear, I have sensed the weight of your contemplations. In this labyrinth of Narcissian ambitions, one may find solace in the company of kindred spirits. I come not as a harbinger of further burdens but as a listener to the echoes of your thoughts.

Protagonist: (With a hint of gratitude) Your presence is a gentle breeze amid the storm of Narcissian schemes.
High-Exarch Onyx: I bring troubling tidings, dear one. Plans are set in motion to unleash the might of the Dreadnought upon the world, a conquest that could shatter the fragile peace. Know this, the colossal war machine is nigh-invulnerable. Earl Bigot’s ambitions and even Lord Preen’s loyalty may not be as steadfast as they seem. The currents of change whisper deceit in the air.

Protagonist: (disbelief) How can I trust these words? Do you bring proof of such dire claims, or do you seek to entangle me in webs of deceit?

High-Exarch Onyx: Believe me, fair maiden, for my words are as true as the gemstones I hold dear. The Dreadnought, a colossal force, threatens not only the neighbouring lands but also the delicate balance of our own Narciss. Earl Bigot’s insatiable hunger for power and Lord Preen’s ambitions are guiding Narciss down a treacherous path. I come to you with a warning, for amidst the turmoil, there may be a spark of hope, a chance for change.

High-Exarch Onyx: (leaning in, a subtle smile) Fair maiden, sometimes the answers lie within, and the choices we make shape the destiny of nations. As for my intentions, know that the stage is set for a grand transformation. High-Exarch Worce, weary from the weight of his decisions, will be gently led to the path of retirement. High-Exarch Lux, with his unethical experiments, shall face the walls of confinement. These are the threads of change, and you, dear protagonist, may find yourself weaving the fabric of Narcissian fate.

(Onyx falls silent and begins to look around the room)

(As Onyx scans the room, her gaze fixates on a striking painting—a masterful depiction of a hunter taking aim at a resplendent white bird, its feathers gleaming in the ethereal light. The hunter’s intent, frozen in the artistry, mirrors the scene Lord Preen unknowingly enacted not long ago)

High-Exarch Onyx: (quietly, to herself) Art has a way of mirroring reality, doesn’t it? (pauses) A metaphor, perhaps, for the challenges that lie ahead.

Protagonist: (with a wry smile) It’s almost as if these paintings foretell the strangest of events. A hunter with a peculiar fondness for winged targets, don’t you think?

High-Exarch Onyx: Perhaps.

(The lights dim to nothing)