Chapter Two

Chapter 2

“As you all can see behind me here is an accident scene that occurred right here on this Ovia river’s bridge as early as 6am today. The accident involves a Lorry carrying trip of sand while heading towards Benin city, Edo state and a small black Lexus 350 Rx car, facing towards Ondo state. According to the eyewitnesses, the Lorry chauffeur lost control while trying to hold back its speed limit. But ended up crashing on the car. Here with me is one of the eyewitnesses.”

I turn aside with my mic”Good morning, sir. What’s your name, please?”

The bald headed man in Ankara attire, willingly faced me and started talking. In pidgin English. I can tell fully well that he is an ethnic of the west because of his tribal marks linted eachly on both sides of his cheeks.

“My name na Adebisi Suleman.”

“Okay MR. Suleman, can you please give us a brief talk of the incident that happened here this morning?” I had to swallow down hard because the man had a very bad mouth odour, strong unpleasant body cologne and so many cavities underneath his lower teeth.

One thing that almost made me poke, he shifted towards the mic I pointed for him to speak on.

Eww, this is one great bad mouth odour. I wish  I could just buy him a tooth brush and paste wouldn’t it seem like disrespect to him?

“Eh–” He started and am battling here on how to hold back my breath. “This morning when I dey prepare to go farm, I come hear GBOO!!! The thing shock me well well, na him I come run come look. Two motor just join head together, like yam and beans. My sister, the driver be wan run o as he see say the Lexus people dey unconscious, na him country people come hold am , give police for state CID, as for the lexus people, dem quick, quick rush dem go hospital. But dem injure well well o. I thank God say say dem neva die.”

Okay now, that’s enough, before I did out of oxygen.

 I exclude the mic from his smelling mouth and keep a distance of it from mine before I too will contract oh.

“Thank you very much, sir.” I faced the camera now for my viewers “As you all have heard. My only words of advice for everyone of you out there is to be very careful and prayerful. Be cautious of wherever you’re going and if you’re driving a vehicle, please ensure to know your control keys properly. Bummi Ademola. A.B.O TV news.”

“Whew!” Without being told, my bestie, Lola quickly manouver the camera and sighed deeply. “Meh,” that was too much, gal.”

“Too much for where?” Abeg, am so exhausted for Lola’s wahala (Problem) we started heading towards our media’s van. “The only thing that’s too much here is the rate of accident happening on this bridge almost all the time.” I gulp a bottle of water.

Lola looked sad. “Any way, sha. I pity for the victims. Thank God it’s just injury o and nothing like death.”

Look at this girl o? Does she even realize what she’s talking about? Even if it’s just injury, isn’t it severe?

Or aren’t those people going to pass through pain during the treatment?

When our van kicked the highway, Lola tilt her head towards me with a wide grin that reached her ears.

“Babe, afar?” One of her arms crossed my shoulders. I already know what she’s playing at. “You’ll chest our lunch today o.”

I just rolled my eyes because no percentage of energy is left in me to argue with her.