Chapter One

Chapter 1

Becoming a journalist was not Something I budgeted, planned or even dreamt of becoming one day.

But today… I am a certified journalist. Did it shocked you? No, it shouldn’t, because the Country didn’t Say So.

In fact It never approved accounting which WAS my calling to be fulfilled in my life.

Yes! You heard me right “Accounting” that’s what I wanted to Study. After all the Struggles & hardship in school.

From my basic to higher institution, I’ve always wanted to feel real money on my palms. Be It mine or not- at least before it gets into the machine – Automate teller machine, let me get the real texture of what I takes to be a millionaire. 

Only when you get a clear revelation of something you want for yourself  in the revelation. (Spiritual realm) never you conclude in the physical.

Ugh! Why is “dua lipa’s song “physical ringing inside my head now?

Any way, that’s aside.

I’ve counted & touched money as an accountant in my dreams but come to think of it, was it all real at all? Wasn’t it supposed to come to pass in my life? Why do I always get this feeling that “Every single thing in my life always ends up backing out!”

Even my dream of becoming an accountant faded. Before my very own eyes because this fucking-sorry for using that fowl language. What I meant to say was “CRAZY” country.

Like seriously, this country is upsidedown. Nothing is always RIGHT! And whatever you lay your hands upon here is nonsense without the grace of God.

After all the stress I passed through, burnt midnight candles, five credits in my WAEC, NECO and a total score of ‘278’ in jamb after two sittings, just to reach this cut off mark……

I ended up getting an admission at “Obafemi Awolowo University” (OAU.)

Let me exhale first.

WHEW!

As if that was not enough, knowing am not an indigene of that state. (Osun State) Ile- Ife. I was given “Journalism” – sorry, I mean to say “Information science and media studies.” To study, instead of accountancy.

No, wait tell me if this is not preposterous enough to go insane?

I had no choice but to move from my town in Ado-ekiti to osun -oshogbo after staying home for two years, waiting for my dream course to be given to me.

Life in the university was sweet , sour and bitter. I can verily say. Because of the time spent, experience, miscellaneous expenses and all have you.

Dad couldn’t chest the family’s needs, so he went after an Edo woman that returned from Italy and left I and my younger brother, Nifemi, whom is sixteen now, for I and our mother, Mrs. Omolara Ademola.

Although, dad and his Italian wife are living happily at Verona, Italy. With three kids, while we are facing hardship here in Nigeria.

He doesn’t even call or send text s for the past ten to fourteen years now.

He has totally forgotten about his real family here.

Mom has been the one brushing us up ever since the day he walked out that MOTHER FUCKING DOOR!

But the day I was having my sign-in out in school, was the same day I got a call from Nifemi that the “Akande” market. Where mom traded vegetables and tomatoes got burnt. (A very big fire outbreak destroyed the whole market)

And everything supposed to be sold, all got burnt to ashes.

Some lives were lost in the process.

That was the only source of our living and it was all gone. It was a combination of sweet and sour feeling that day.

Mom was frustrated and downcasted. I thank God that English language was the last paper before graduation.

There’s a reason why I said “I thank God English was the last paper.”

After the paper, I didn’t wait two days before boarding a bus to my small town in Ado-ekiti.

Like this and like that, I finished service by the grace of God and got a good paying job in a media company where I run two duties in one shifts.

JOURNALISM AND NEWS CASTING.

With the help of an old friend, actually, my close coursemate back in school – Lola Oluwatobi.

She use to live in Ibadan with her parents but now residing alone at a neighboring town in Ado-ekiti.

We became besties since when we did our National youth service corps (NYSC) at Plateau, Jos. And luckily, we’re both working at the same company. 

With this little (Petty) job of mine, I was able to pay off mom’s debts, our house rents, Nifemi’s school fees and also start up a new business for mom.

Now, she sells wrappers, laces, hollandaise, aso-oke, hi-target and so many clothing materials.