Chapter 71: (Emerald City at Last)

(Emerald City at Last) 

*June 16th, 1906*

*Winkie Country*

Everyone sat at the dinner table eating a wonderful meal prepared by the Winkies as everyone was engaged in fellowship.

"So, were you always made of tin? I've never seen anything like this back in my hometown before." Shaggy Man asked Tin Woodman curiously as he had taken a bite from his meal while waiting for an answer from his new friend.

"No, I was made of flesh and bones just like you. The Wicked Witch of the East cursed me after being engaged to a beautiful munchkin. After that, every time I used my axe, It would slip off my hand and cut off parts of my body. This would go on until each part was replaced with tin, thus allowing me to become Tin Woodman.." Tin Woodman explained to Shaggy Man as his story seemed to surprise Polychrome who had a look of sorrow on her face.

"That's terrible, that must have been painful for you to go through that.." Polychrome spoke to Tin Woodman in a sad voice while Tin Woodman nodded in agreement before speaking again.

"Indeed but fear not, I was given an excellent heart by The Wizard of Oz thus allowing the power of love within me to remain stronger. I also don't mind being this way since everyone loves me, I love everyone, and therefore I'm happy for the rest of my life." Tin Woodman responded with a warm smile which made Polychrome smile back while Dorothy began to speak out.

"A heart? What made Oscar give you a heart? I thought he told you that being kind and stuff doesn't require a heart" Dorothy asked curiously as Tin Woodman was quick to provide an answer.

"I know but it was simply a gift since my birthday had passed and I've been wearing it ever since. It's to always remember my human name as well, Nick Chopper" Tin Woodman responded while gently tapping his chest where his heart was located.

"Really?! Well, Happy Late Birthday, Mr Chopper. I can't believe I'm just now finding out your name but It's wonderful learning it. This means we're very close friends" Dorothy responded once more while smiling warmly which made Tin Woodman smile more.

"Thank you. People around me had referred to me as Tin Woodman due to my metallic body and eventually, I've adopted the name but you can call me Nick if you want" Tin Woodman spoke to Dorothy once more while the young girl smiled even more.

"Of course, I'm going to refer to you as Mr Chopper now. I want you to always remember your birth name. The name that your loved ones used to call by" Dorothy spoke to Tin Woodman once more as this made the sentimental being rather emotional.

"T-Thank you, Dorothy. I don't mind at all, and if it wasn't for you, I would have rusted away in the forest so thank you once more.." Tin Woodman responded emotionally while smiling warmly as Dorothy smiled back.

"Of course, as my Aunt Em says, we should always smile through the dark times and never be afraid to ask for help as well" Dorothy spoke once more to Tin Woodman as both friends smiled warmly to each other for a few seconds before Shaggy Man spoke up.

"Truly a sad story; however, I'm glad you were able to find happiness through your new friends but I must say, this palace must have cost a lot of money" Shaggy Man spoke to Tin Woodman while looking around the palace with great interest while Tin Woodman began to chuckle to himself with confidence.

"Money in Oz? Nonsense! Princess Ozma abolished money many years ago so that's a nonissue for the people of Oz" Tin Woodman responded while Shaggy Man was surprised at what he heard as he began to speak once more.

"R-Really?! That's marvelous! Money makes men greedy and evil if used incorrectly" Shaggy Man spoke once more to Tin Woodman rather enthusiastically while nodding in agreement.