Chapter Two

‘Why are you doing this to me?’ He asks me, studying my face. I gulp and a tear rolls down each cheek.

‘Because. I don’t want this,’ I mumble back. His blue eyes look hurt and sad, but still hide that menacing and dangers flash of dark blue.

‘You don’t want me?’ He asks. He takes a step closer so our chests were practically touching.

‘No, I don’t want this,’ I say, gesturing to us.

‘Can I change your mind?’ He says to me, reaching a hand up and caressing my cheek.

My skin tingles from where his cold hand left my cheek. ‘What have I done wrong?’ He whispers, letting his hand crawl back behind my neck and tilting my wet face up to his angelic face.

I don’t reply.

‘Why are you doing this to yourself, Nora?’ He says in his American accent.

‘It’s for the best,’  I stumble, trying to find the right words.

‘No...’ He whispers. He pulls me closer to him and rests his chin on my head. My heart starts to beat, loudly but I pull back.

‘Stop, Reed,’ I say, fiercely.

‘No,’ He says. He grabs my hand, and angrily yanks me towards him.

‘Stop! Reed! You’re hurting me!’ I scream as he crashes his lips down onto mine.

‘Stop it!’ I scream. His lips were cold and dead. Reeds hands run down my body and I yelp for him to stop.

‘Nora...’ He moans. I scream again and again, trying to pull away from him when it all blacks out.

*

I slam into a sitting position and I pant and cry into my silk quilt. I cry loudly, hoping someone would find me – not a teenage cry, but a cry screaming ‘Help me!’ as if someone has died.

My mum wrenches the door open and jumps to my bed. No sooner had I woken up, am I now with my head against her chest, crying into her pyjama shirt. Mum shushes me and rocks me as I cry, louder and louder.

The lights flick on and I see my brother standing there, shirtless and with his blonde hair sticking up in all angles.

He rubs his eyes. ‘What in hell’s name happened?’ He says, wearily.

He notices me crying and starts to make his way to the other side of my bed. I know my brother can be a real bastard most of the times, but when its necessary, he’s also the nicest saint you’ll ever meet.

‘Nor?’ He says. He jumps into my bed and hugs me from behind. Mum keeps shushing and I start to feel myself calming down. Mum tucks a strand of my sweaty, wet hair behind my ear and kisses the top of my head.

‘Shh...Nora, it’s alright, sweetheart... It’s ok.’ Mum says. I hiccup and I rub my nose on the sleeve of my pyjama top. I notice someone had changed me into my pyjamas and put me in bed.

‘Matt, sweetie, go back to bed.’ Mum says, Matt jumps up and starts to protest like a little child.

‘But mum -- ’

‘Go back to bed, it’s alright,’ Mum says. Matt groans and leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

‘Now, are you OK?’ Mum says, stroking my hair. I nod.

‘Yeah,’ I mumble quietly, giving her a watery smile.

Mum pulls back and lies me down in the bed.