Chapter 7: Harbinger Moon (constructing)

"And how long until I can take this off?"

"I imagine a few days... just... remember how lucky you are."

"That's hard to do when I'm unable to use depth perception."

I let out a sigh from the door of Trianna's room. Once again, she lay on her bed. This time she had thick long bandages around the left side of her head, the ones near her left eye colored red. Facial wounds are always bloody.

"Though I have to say, thank goodness the flower didn't scratch me a centimeter lower, or I would never have depth perception again," Trianna looks over at me idling at her door. She was extraordinarily lucky the scratch never reached her eye. With sharp tendrils like that, the Harbinger could have easily removed a brilliant green eye.

This is the second time that the Cloaked Girl has shown up and left Trianna hurt. Trianna is one of the nicest people I know. Why does she hate her?

But... maybe the cloaked girl doesn't hate us. I had asked her about why she hurt us, and she shook her head like that wasn't her goal.

Still, she is dangerous. As the leader of this team I must do everything in my power to protect everyone. No risks can be made.

"Trianna, I am so sorry about all of this," I walk to her bed.

"No, Andropov, this isn't your fault. I told you not to blame yourself."

"But I am supposed to protect you guys!" I shake my head.

"Andropov, we didn't even tell you we were going to the science facility," Trianna chuckles, "Imagine how bad it would've been if you hadn't shown up. One of us could've died from the girl, the flower, or even Reyk! Because you were there...," she smiles, obviously trying to make me happy, "I made it out of that situation with only a cut on my forehead."

I decide to humor her, giving her a slight smile.

"We might've had an easier time escaping if he hadn't shown up actually, we could've potentially escaped to the school, which is a far more threatening and defensible position," Vulpos' flat voice floats across the bed.

I turn to face him, my expression darkening.

"Alright, you dudes give her some space, okay?" Ouiki walks into the room, cutting through the slight tension. "The girl needs to get her rest so that wound can heal into a cool lookin' battle scar!"

Casin stands by her side. He had been pretty upset that we didn't wake him up, saying it would have been awesome to see the magic flower floating around.

I had told him that he wouldn't have thought it was awesome if he had been sliced up like an orange.

Ouiki takes a step to my side, "I finished a pretty cool painting this morning, why don't you guys come check it out." She gives us a smile, pointing at us as she walks out the door.

I nod to Trianna as I turn to follow Ouiki. Vulpos doesn't move.

The hallway is colder than normal. The light outside is muted, likely from clouds covering the sun. The paintings covering the wall reflect dull cool colors complementing the dusty air.

"I don't think you have seen this piece yet, it's pretty great."

"I bet, your stuff is always great,"

"Awww, that's very kind, but you know that isn't true,"

"It is!"

"Oh really, what about that piece with the wooden spaceship?" She leads me into her room, the smell of paint fills my nostrils.

"The wooden spaceship was fine! I actually really liked it," I laugh a bit, grinning.

"Sure, how about the dinosaurus rex?"

"...Okay, I will admit, I didn't like that one very much...," I scratch my head glancing at the floor.

"Yeah, not all my stuff is good," Ouiki walks to a painting stand that faces her window that isn't boarded completely. The light from the mid-day sun doesn't quite reach the opposite wall, where the door is.

Ouiki takes a glance at her painting, smiling playfully, "Well, don't just stand there! Come and see!"

I smile back awkwardly, hastily stepping around it too see.

"I painted this one because the new moon is tonight. I thought it would be cool to paint it before it happened to see if my painting is cooler than real life!"

A magnificent oil painting of a looming dark black moon silhouetting a bright wavey star filled sky in a style similar to Van Gogh warmed my mind, its beauty stunning me.

"That... is definitely better than life...," I whisper, mouth agape.

In the corner of my eye I notice that Ouiki is no longer smiling. Her albino white pigtails cover her eyes from my sight, due to her head turning down to examine the lower parts of the painting... or is she staring at the floor? I can't tell, but her mouth is in a strange lip-biting frown.

"Is something wrong?" I ask a little too casually.

Ouiki turns her head directly to face me. Her bright crimson eyes stare right into mine.

"No."

I unconsciously take a step back.

"Ouiki, it looks like something is bothering you," I put my hand on her shoulder and give her a sincere smile, "it is my job to make sure everything and everyone is alright."

"Well, it isn't exactly your fault, Andro." She looks down at the floor again, "but you haven't done the best job at making sure everyone is alright."

My heart bursts in my chest. I feel my face fall.

"I... I am trying my hardest..."

Ouiki looks up at me again, her red eyes like fiery gemstones, "Maybe."

<><><>