- Chapter Sixteen -

Amity's face contorted in the mirror into that of a monster - mouth full of sharp canines, hair limp and dead, a hollow stare surrounding her. She often had trouble telling herself apart from that of the monster. The monster which she grappled and boxed with every day. The very monster that was her.

"Calm down," she murmured to herself, "you just need to get through today and then you can speak with her." She forced herself to breathe deeply before exiting the room and searching for her brother, Edric. Amity realized he must be outside when the house became much too quiet.

He honked the car as she ran up to him, slamming the door closed. "Jeez, mittens! You take twice as long as your sister."

"She's your sister too," she deadpanned as she opened the car door and slipped into the convertible's leather seat.

"Unfortunately."

Amity rolled her eyes, grateful for the distraction as she played in her head many different ways this scenario could go.

                              ....................

The strings of puppetry were at it again, making her limbs work tirelessly. She was starting to get fed up with the constant fidgeting, the constant thinking. She sighed externally as she tried to calm down.

"Are you sure you want to go to school today?" Questioned Mama. "Sabes que tienes opciones."

"I know, Ma."

Mama raised an eyebrow as she leaned against her partner, Eda's hand curling around her waist. Eda was the first to break their little staring contest. "You know it's okay to rest once in awhile, kid. Not everything has to be go, go, go."

"I know, mom." She said. "I just really want to get the worst part over, then everything else will be fine."

"Are you sure this isn't too much?"

"Yes, Eda." She said, which indicated her annoyance. She seldom called her adoptive mother by her name, though she knew the older woman didn't mind. When both women stared with curious expressions, she sighed. "Okay, what do you want to know?" Reluctantly, Luz sat down at the kitchen island.

Mama spoke first. "Where are her parents?"

"I've been wondering the same thing, Luz."

The Hispanic sighed deeply, frowning. "Well, it's none of my business but..her parents are pretty bad people from what I have gathered. They barely pay attention to her, which is how we became friends in the first place. She isn't at all like how they force her to be.

Though, I'm still kind of surprised that I haven't gotten over what happened between us in the past. She's made up for it in a lot of ways but my brain is just too stubborn and I'm afraid that with-with our kiss, I might've made things worse for myself."

Eda grinned. "You kissed?"

Mama interrupted, glaring at her wife. "That's not the point," she warned, "I'm glad that you are getting along with her but getting over something this big in your life isn't going to take a couple of weeks, Hija."

"I know, I just wish it did."

All three of them stared at each other, smiling softly before the alarm rang again. "I'll see you tonight, kid."

She nodded as she made her way out the door, giving them both a hug and running towards her car. She didn't want to be late today. If things were going to go right, she needed to start her day smoothly.

Note - Sabes que tienes opciones - You know you have options

Hija - Daughter