Chapter 3 - Small Talk and Vodka

The drive back to mine was horrible. I couldn't string together one coherent, sensible thought about how to make it easier for myself to tell Beth what I promised her I would. My hands were shaking, my knees were trembling as they bounced, my heart beat was irratic just at the thought alone. Every so often I would find myself looking in my rear view mirror hoping that Beth would change her mind and turn off somewhere, down a road that wasn't mine. But that never happened, she followed me the whole way, even giving me little waves every so often when she caught me looking. I hate this.

I pull up onto the drive with Beth doing the same. She jumps out the car with a spring in our step to which I just nervously bite the inside of my cheek. Putting the key in the door was overwhelming enough, the second I heard the lock turn, the sound thundered through me and the realisation hit that I would be trying to share what I've kept a secret for so long.

"Don't look so scared mate." Beth says giving me a side hug while my fingers tremble as I pull the key out of the door and push it open.

We head through to the kitchen after slinging our coats onto the rack and throwing our shoes to one side. I reach straight for the cooler while Beth takes a seat at the kitchen island opposite. I pull out a bottle of vodka and flick the cap off swigging it from the bottle, feeling the burn run down my throat to my chest giving me a sense of warmth through the chill.

"Christ, I forgot how you can drink." Beth laughs watching me intently, maybe even... impressed?

"It is the holy spirit after all..." I wink.

We have training tomorrow so I thought I'd better offer Beth even thought she will say no. "Want some?" I fully expected her to say no, but she grabs the bottle and swigs it in the same way I did. I'm surprised, really suprised. I don't think I've ever seen her drink vodka straight, her face says it all.

"Want a mixer?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

She coughs repeatedly smacking her check. "Yes please, my god."

"What's wrong with you to be drinking straight vodka when we have training tomorrow?" I turn back to look at her from the fridge.

Just the way she looks at me, I know something is up.

"Viv." She lets out a big sigh while leaning her elbows onto the table.

"Viv?"

"We've been arguing... a lot."

I am taken by suprise slightly. Beth and Viv are like the Arsenal power couple. For Beth to drink straight vodka because of it means it must be intense.

"About...?" I pry handing her a glass and some lemonade.

She gives me a guilty look as she pours herself a strong drink, a look I know all to well.

"Me?" I bite the inside of my cheek knowing the answer already.

She reluctantly nods, and that's all I need to know.

"Brilliant."

"It's not like that Rori." She rubs the back of her neck. "It's just... I don't know. Obviously the girls are finding it hard with you being back, everyone's emotions are heightened and I've made it known to Viv I wanna hear you out and..."

"And she doesn't?" I jump to a conclusion finishing her sentence for her. I know is true. Guessed as much, can't blame her.

"Well, you know... the whole..."

"Yeah yeah I know. People are there for Leah. I get it Beth, I do."

I take another swig before lean my hands on the island. I don't want to be causing Beth issues in her relationship, but it does feel kinda nice she wants to hear me out.