Chapter Fifteen: Out of the Frying Pan

A/N: Yes I know, I'm late - again. My last weekend was just so hectic, I was in different place every day, and then I emptied my head by getting lost in a book that my sister lent me. And I'll mention straight away that I may not be able to update on next Sunday either. Depending on the weather, I may be going to our summer cottage with my family, and there's no internet connection there (and laptop wouldn't be included on the "to pack -list" anyway). So I'll apologize both for this being late and maybe being late next weekend, and also wish happy Midsummer for those who celebrate it.

Sara's POV

After the flash of light had faded all I could see was dark shapes lying on the ground. Then, turning my head a bit, I saw one standing figure behind everyone else.

Then darkness faded and we all, both goblins and the company, stared at the figure which proved to be Gandalf.

"Take up arms", he said. "Fight. Fight!" Then he rushed into the battle as our company finally started to move towards our weapons. I grabbed my sword too, despite the fact that my wrist was still bandaged: it was my only defence.

"He wields the Foehammer, the Beater! Bright as daylight!" The fat goblin shouted, shying away from Gandalf and mentioned sword.

For a short moment everything was just a great mayhem; everyone tried to get their own weapons and not to get slain themselves. The fat Goblin seemed to see his chance in that chaos and went for Thorin who had his back to him. Someone managed to warn him before I could and Thorin sent the fat creature down from the platform.

"Follow me, quick!" Gandalf ordered, and we all were only glad to do so.

***

Balin's POV

We followed the Wizard and cut our way through masses of goblins swarming from every direction. I guess that this was the fiercest battle on our quest, for time being, that is.

Thorin and Sara fought side by side a bit further ahead. That way the lad and lass fought, that they didn't seem to acknowledge each other but still fought together, almost as one being, it was almost mesmerizing.

It also seemed that they both were very protective over one another now. Well, from Thorin's side it had been obvious from the very start, and it seemed like Sara finally felt it, too. Whether it was because Thorin had managed to right his wrongs or the ploy lads had pulled at Rivendell, no one could know.

I thought we were doing quite well, since Goblins had difficulties to keep up with fast-paced fighting. But that was until the bridge in front of us crashed and that Great Goblin cut our way.

***

Sara's POV

Thorin put his hand in front of me to prevent me from running ahead when that fat goblin jumped through the bridge, and I shivered little as I could feel his gentle but firm touch through my clothes.

"You thought you could escape me?" The goblin asked, swinging his mace around and making Gandalf stumble in the front of our company. Dwarves closest to him helped him back up.

"What are you going to do now, Wizard?"

He poked his staff into the goblin's eye and while it was still howling he cut a deep gash across its stomach.

"That'll do it." It stated.

Gandalf finished it off with a cut across its neck. The dead weight crashing down made bridge shake and fall down. I lost my balance and was about to fall off from the bridge, but Thorin caught me just in time and pulled me against his chest. And he didn't let go. I was too scared to care about how close to him I was, burying my face into the fur of his cloak instead.