Chapter Two: Abilities

A/N: Another chapter for you! I know it's little bit late, but it's because I've had some troubles with my internet connection. Those troubles are now past (at least I hope so :D), and from now on I try to fix Sunday as my "update day". So you can expect a new chapter some time during next Sunday.

...quite late in the evening, most likely. I actually have some stuff to do on that day; I go to play some soccer! :D

Sara’s POV

I followed the dwarves into the hall and stood next to Kíli as Gandalf opened the door to reveal one more dwarf standing outside. This dwarf stood in the way that told he knew very well that he stood high in the ranks. And yet there was something about this newcomer… something that picked up my interest.

“Gandalf”, the dwarf said, and his deep baritone voice sent a small shiver down my spine. “I thought you said that this place would be easy to find. I lost my way… twice.” He stepped inside and took off his cloak.

When all the other dwarves bowed to the newcomer I was sure that this particular dwarf was indeed someone important. But whereas Ori – the youngest – made a deepest bow, the second and third to youngest – Kíli and Fíli – only nodded, and that was less than anyone else did. Even that warrior-looking dwarf Dwalin’s nod was deeper than one the two of them gave.

That’s going to be interesting when I try to solve out that mystery.

“Wouldn’t have found it at all if it wasn’t for that mark on the door”, the dwarf continued.

“Mark?” Bilbo asked. “There’s no mark on that door, it was painted a week ago!”

“There is a mark, I put it there myself.” Gandalf explained to Bilbo. Meanwhile the new dwarf flashed a smile at Fíli and Kíli’s direction – so there was some kind of connection between the three of them – and noticed me. He raised his eyebrows but didn’t say anything, yet.

“Bilbo Baggins”, Gandalf continued. “Allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield.”

So that’s his name.

“So, this is the hobbit.” Thorin said, crossing his hands in front of his chest and starting to walk around the hobbit. “Tell me, Master Baggins, have you done much fighting?”

“Pardon me?”

“Axe or sword, what’s your weapon of choice?”

“Well, I have some skill in conkers, if you must know. But I fail to see… why that’s relevant.” Bilbo answered.

“Thought as much”, Thorin said, glancing at the dwarves behind him. “He looks more like a grocer than a burglar.” This made other dwarves laugh. Poor Bilbo, he tried his best to be a proper host to his guests, but they were just mocking him. This Thorin Oakenshield, whoever he was, seemed to think that it was okay to just pop into someone’s house and then mock their host. In other words I had met just another person who was arrogant because of their higher status.

Suddenly my newfound interest seemed to drop down several levels.

Dwarves gathered back to the dining room. Fíli and Kíli both grabbed my arm and led me to sit in the table between them again.

Once gathered around the table dwarves started to talk about a meeting in a place called Ered Luin. When a quest was mentioned Gandalf spoke about something called Lonely Mountain and Glóin and Óin spoke about omens. I was quite lost, truth to be told.

The chattering continued and I managed to fish out some information amongst it. There was a kingdom which was taken by a dragon, what I gathered was a winged beast who could breathe fire, and now these dwarves have decided to claim it back. And Thorin, if I had gathered it up correctly, was first in line to that kingdom’s throne, a crownless king.