Chapter 4 - A Long Drive to Nowhere

Começar do início

Boston chucked. It was a beautiful noise, but not nearly as beautiful as his smile.

"We're in the Lauder Territory. This–" he extended his arms at his sides and took a step back, showing off the surrounding space like it was a luxury resort, "–is a satellite house. Members of the Resistance come here when they're in transit and need a place to crash for a night or two. We'll move to the safe house tonight."

I glanced around the room. I wasn't sure what I was expecting from the Resistance, but if their satellite house was any indication of their proficiency, I was less than comforted.

Boston extended a hand to me. "Come on. You look exhausted. Let's go find you a bed."

I couldn't argue with that. All the exhaustion of the last day seemed to finally be hitting me like a wall.

I slipped my hand into Boston's and allowed myself to a small room down the hall. It was entirely empty except for a bare mattress on the ground with a singular lumpy pillow and threadbare blanket.

Boston rubbed his nape. "I know it's not exactly the lap of luxury...Do you want me to grab the sheet from the car?"

I shook my head. It wasn't ideal, but I'd slept in worse conditions. At least the mattress and pillow looked to be in surprisingly good condition.

I lowered myself to the edge of the mattress.

"Don't you need to be on watch or whatever?" I asked absently.

He shrugged. "There's not exactly much to watch for. We don't have a security perimeter. It's more just keeping an ear out for any strange noises."

Strange noises. My mind wandered as I contemplated those words.

What kind of noises were they looking for? The sound of someone attempting to break-in and loot? A stray animal searching for food? Or was it the noise of a dozen Enforcers' boots crunching on fallen leaves outside as they prepared to kick down the door and take me kicking and screaming from the building, just as they had with Chelsea just hours before.

Chelsea.

Just a day before she'd been just like me—a girl from the Alderman territory, one of just a handful of students who had been given the opportunity to attend University.

Now what was her future? To be a broodmare to a monster?

The reality of the last twelve hours hit me like a truck. I bent over, burying my head in my hands.

"Oh God, I'm sorry," I moaned.

The sudden change in demeanor took Boston off guard. His confusion and mild panic were evident on his face as he crouched in front of me, trying to get a better look at my face.

"What are you talking about, Noa? What the Hell do you have to be sorry about?"

"For getting you into this mess!" I snapped.

My eyes met his sympathy-filled gaze. It was almost too much to bear. My eyes filled with tears that threatened to spill over.

"It's going to be okay, Noa. I promise you." Despite how certain he sounded, I didn't feel reassured.

"You don't know that!" I snapped. "I mean if I am mated to a...to one of those..." It's impossible to choke the word out. The thought of it alone makes me feel nauseous. "I'm so sorry, Boston. You never should have gotten involved with this."

"Stop. Apologizing. This isn't your fault," He said firmly, gathering my hands in his. "You are the most important person on the planet to me. And I would do anything to keep you safe. You know that right?"