Chapter 40

Operation Cherrybomb Part 1

"Hey, Sergeant. How long are we gonna be here anyway?" one of the Canadians asked as they rested during the siege against the Federation, recovering from their long journey.

"At least until your crappy playing gives away our position," the Sergeant replied, checking the weapons they had been given. Archie entered with the young radio boy and addressed the group.

"Buck up, men! We've got a battle to win as soon as our tanks finish disabling the Federation tanks," Archie encouraged, receiving thumbs up from the platoon. He then turned to the Sergeant, asking, "Are our men ready?"

"Can anyone be ready to march into hell?" the Sergeant retorted.

"The tank crew is slowly running out of time, Sergeant," Archie warned as they continued walking. One of the radio men ran up to them.

"Sir! Word from command. The Poles have taken Hill Two Sixty-Two, but they lost their radio," the young radio boy reported.

"Well, we've got bigger problems than that, Private," the Sergeant remarked.

"This adds to them, sir. Command wants us to send a radio operator to help the Poles," the radio boy added.

"Well, get going. Mount Ormel's at least a day's drive away... Listen, Baron, I'm doing a favor. One of our tank crews has gone missing, and we suspect they are captured by the Federation women in that town. We're going on a rescue op. It's dangerous business, and you wouldn't want any part of it," Archie explained.

"I'm not a coward, Lieutenant and Sergeant. My job is to protect our radio, our only link to command, and—" Baron started, but the Sergeant cut him off.

"Now your job is to be the Poles' radio. Dismissed, Private," the Sergeant commanded. Baron sighed and moved to where the Poles were stationed. Archie approached the Sergeant.

"You're a bit hard on him," Archie commented.

"Nah. We've got bigger worries than that. Get ready to move; we've got men waiting on us," the Sergeant said.

Meanwhile, in the town, the scene unfolded in Commander Chiaki's room. Commander Anderson and Vice Commander Sienna joined him, disappointment evident on Chiaki's face as he scrutinized the war map. Never in his life did he anticipate his alliance facing challenges from a group of high school teenagers, both boys and girls, working in tandem to push Chiaki and her forces back.

Among them was his old comrade and traitor, Houston, and others who had survived the Dallas incident. They brainstormed plans, fully aware that if Commander Chiaki and her team were defeated, it would signal the end of the game. This, in turn, meant that the supplies hidden by Anderson would be exposed by the American and Japanese Governments when they arrived on the island to address Commander Chiaki's crimes.

 Understood that with the match not in Commander Chiaki's hands, it was only a matter of time before the Joint High Schools team, led by Houston, would bring them down again. The stakes were high, and the tension in the room reflected the gravity of the situation.

"It seems that I really underestimated these kids," Chiaki mused, studying the war map with a furrowed brow.

"You think? Look at how strong and how far they've gotten. They've taken mostly key cities on this island, leaving the League occupation that threatens me and Commander Anderson's supply lines for ourselves. We're almost close to exposing our hidden base," Sienna retorted, her anger palpable.

"Well, unless you two Yankees do something instead of striking in the shadows, helping me, then I could have beaten them long ago," Chiaki challenged.

"If we dare to reveal ourselves and attack, the whole world will be after mine and Sienna's heads. There's a reason why we attack in the shadows, mostly targeting the survivors from the incident in Dallas. Besides, if my forces use live ammunition and harm a Japanese teenage girl, we won't like the consequences from both of our governments," Anderson stated in his cold tone, his hands tucked inside his trench coat. He continued, "We will wait until the time is right, then I can make my move. So now, Commander Chiaki, your job is to push them back. If you can't do it, then I will have no choice but to withdraw my support for your forces, training, and tactics. Do something right now." With that, Anderson and Sienna left the room, leaving Chiaki to contemplate the gravity of the situation and the urgency to act.