Chapter 30

Silent Cobra Part 1

Flashback: The First Memorial of the Dallas Incident

Families and former players who attended the Dallas Tankery match stood watching as the President/Owner of the American Tankery League walked forward to present himself.

"Thank you. I'd like to say a few words, and first and foremost, I want to offer my condolences to the families who lost their children in that horrific incident that the Association allowed by permitting the use of live ammunition for kids. We stand here today with those who carry the scars and bear witness to the trauma they endured. But with the league taking control of Tankery sport in America, I can assure you that such an incident will never happen again. No child should ever have to witness the loss of a friend, cousin, brother, or anyone else."

"However, for those children who survived this dreadful incident, I want to acknowledge the bravery of those young souls who risked their lives to save others. Jaylon Graham, Albert Muller, Joey Hudson, and Kazutaka Jefferson, please step forward and accept these golden medals as tokens of our admiration."

The League President spoke as the called-up boys approached the podium, receiving their medals and shaking hands with fellow league officials. Delia Houston, the Aunt of one of the boys, was also present, warmly congratulating the boys as the audience applauded.

"However, we cannot forget one young individual who took a tremendous risk by breaking ranks with Vermont Academy, the prestigious school now closed down due to its management of its Tankery team and its responsibility for those tragic deaths. Nevertheless, this young man risked it all and played a pivotal role in leading these boys to victory. Please allow me to introduce the Hero of the Dallas Incident... Don Houston!" The President announced.

As the President introduced Houston, there was a hushed silence in the crowd. When the President repeated his introduction, he looked to Delia.

"Is your nephew here?" The President of the League inquired.

"He is, but he has a way of making people wait," Delia replied.

Just as Delia had predicted, Graham, Muller, and the other boys turned their heads to see Houston slowly approaching the podium, adorned in his Vermont Tankery Vice Commander uniform with a dark green beret hat. All eyes were on Houston as he made his way forward.

As Houston continued to walk forward, he came to a stop in front of the League President, who greeted him with a smile. However, Houston showed no emotions, his eyes weary from all he had been through. The President placed a medal around Houston's neck and pinned another to his uniform, speaking as he did so.

"You are above any Tankery Commander we have ever seen in any Tankery match. You are a true hero," the President said with a warm smile.

Accepting the medal with grace, Houston then gave the President a salute. But as he looked to the side, he saw his younger brother's ghostly spirit, Red, looking at him with a smile. Don's eyes weakened as he saw Red, who saluted him and then disappeared. The League President extended his hand to Houston.

Seeing this, Houston hesitated for a moment, his weary eyes reflecting a mix of emotions. Eventually, he slowly raised his right hand and shook the League President's hand. The two turned to face the crowd, and as Houston and the League President continued to shake hands, photographers from various newspaper companies snapped pictures, and the audience erupted in applause, recognizing Houston as a hero.

However, amidst the applause and admiration, Houston didn't see himself as a hero. His doubts lingered, and his internal turmoil continued to weigh on him. Suddenly, one of the mothers who had supported the Vermont Academy shouted out.