Chapter 44

The team enters the compound to see Rhodey, now with robotic leg braces, and Secretary Ross, as a hologram, having a heated discussion.

"Mr. Secretary." Steve nods at the hologram.

The hologram walks over and looks at Nat. "You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now." She points out.

"And you!" He then turns his attention towards Rhi. "We know about your little escapades across Europe." Rhi doesn't respond and just smiles darkly at him. "The worlds on fire. And you think all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness." Steve starts. "And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost some of her best defenders, so we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way...we'll fight you too."

Ross turns back to Rhodey. "Arrest them."

"All over it." Rhodey says and then ends the call. "That's a court Marshall." He walks a bit closer to the team. "Wow. You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." Sam points out.

"Uh, I think you look great." Bruce says as he walks out from the shadows.

Rhi walks over and embraces him in a hug. "What happened in New York?"

"The Hulk wouldn't come out...I-I couldn't stop them..."

"It's ok." She smiles sadly.

"Hi Bruce." Nat smiles

"Nat." Bruce responds awkwardly as the team files into the conference room.

*  *  *

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey asks and Rhi nods.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce asks

"After the whole accords situation," Nat starts, "He and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families. They're on house arrest."

"Who's Scott?" Bruce asks

"Ant-man." Steve answers

"There's an Ant-man and a Spider-man?" Bruce asks

"Guys focus!" Rhi interrupts. "Thanos, has the biggest army in the universe. And he is not going to stop until he gets all of the stones...including Vision's."

"Then we have to protect it." Pietro says.

"No, we have to destroy it." Vision says.

"The only thing that can destroy an infinity stone, is another infinity stone." Rhi says

"About that. I've been giving a good deal of thought to this...entity in my head. About its nature, but also its composition." Vision pauses for a moment and walks towards Rhi and Wanda. "I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source...something very similar to its own signature..."

"You're saying it's possible that either myself or Wanda could destroy the stone." Rhi says more matter of factly rather than a question.