4

Petra blinks against the harsh light as she slowly regains consciousness. The sterile scent of a hospital fills her nostrils, and the soft hum of medical equipment becomes a distant symphony. Her head throbs with a persistent ache, and the world around her seems to sway in gentle oscillations.

As Petra's vision clears, the first face that comes into focus is Madelyn Stillwell's. A shiver runs down Petra's spine, a disquieting sense of unease settling in as memories, like fragmented puzzle pieces, start to reconnect in her mind.

"Easy, Petra," Madelyn says in a calm and composed tone, her gaze unwavering, "You had a bit of an accident, but you're in good hands."

Petra tries to sit up, but a wave of dizziness pins her back to the bed. Her fingers fumble against the crisp hospital sheets, seeking an anchor in this disorienting reality.

"Accident?" Petra mutters, her voice a mere whisper, "What happened?"

Madelyn leans in, her expression a practiced mask of concern, "You had a sudden power surge. It overwhelmed you. But don't worry, Queen Maeve was here to save the day."

Petra's brows furrow as she struggles to recall the events leading up to her blackout. The memories are elusive, slippery like shadows. She vaguely remembers the tension, the kiss with Maeve, and then... darkness.

"Queen Maeve?" Petra repeats, skepticism coloring her words, "Why would she..."

Madelyn interrupts smoothly, "She found you unconscious, called for help, and stayed by your side until you woke up. You should be grateful. She might have saved your life."

Petra's mind churns with doubt, but the pain in her head acts as a persistent reminder. She sighs and leans back into the pillows, her gaze fixed on the ceiling tiles. The room feels stifling, and the air is laden with unspoken tension. Madelyn watches her, her eyes calculating, as if assessing Petra's every reaction.

"What do you remember?" Madelyn probes, her voice gentle but insistent.

Petra closes her eyes, attempting to piece together the fractured memories, "I remember... the kiss. And then everything went dark."

Madelyn's expression remains unreadable, "You had a power surge, Petra. Your abilities went haywire. We're working on finding a solution, but in the meantime, we need you to remain calm and cooperative. We can't afford any more incidents like this. Trust me."

Trust. The word hangs heavy in the air. Petra's instincts scream at her to question, to doubt, but the pain in her head, the fragility of her own abilities, keeps her silent.

As Madelyn leans in, her words a whispered promise, Petra can't shake the feeling that she's stepped into a labyrinth of secrets, and the walls are closing in. The shadows of doubt dance at the periphery of her consciousness, but for now, she nods in reluctant agreement.

The sterile whiteness of the hospital gradually transforms into the familiar chaos of a bustling film set. Petra finds herself navigating a blur of faces and voices, each one urging her forward. A whirlwind of emotions churns within her, an amalgamation of confusion, fatigue, and an underlying anxiety about the unpredictable nature of her own powers.

From the antiseptic quiet of the medical facility to the boisterous energy of the film set, Petra is propelled back into the artificial reality of 'Twisted.' The transition is jarring, the boundaries between fiction and reality blurring with each hurried step.

As Petra steps into the makeup trailer, the hum of hairdryers and the scent of cosmetics engulf her. The makeup artists greet her with forced cheerfulness, their eyes flickering with a mixture of curiosity and sympathy. Petra, now attired in a pristine hospital gown, feels like a specimen under a microscope.