Chapter 45: Miracles of Evolution

Start from the beginning

Professor Cerise sat at his chair and began clacking at his keyboard. "Right, I should explain to you what's going on."

He clicked a button and a video began playing on one of the monitors. The video depicted a rocky area that looked like some kind of canyon. I was confused because at first nothing seemed to be amiss. Suddenly, the earth began to rumble, getting stronger and stronger until the destructive force split the ground, creating cracks that littered all around it. An Aerodactyl flew out of the ground and began to fly somewhere that was off-screen.

Professor Cerise turned off the video. "That was recorded by a bystander in Neon Town, the town closest to Grampa Canyon." He winced. "Unfortunately, he met a gruesome end. There were more Fossil Pokemon that appeared from the cracks."

I raised on eyebrow. "So you want us to stop the Fossil Pokemon and investigate the crack?"

"The Pewter City Gym Leader already took care of them."

"Brock's at Neon Town?" Trinity asked

"He finds Fossils in Grampa Canyon and donates them to the Pewter Museum of Science," Professor Cerise explained. "Which brings me to my next point. Brock has volunteered to accompany you two."

"Oh, really?" I grinned. "We could use his help.

"I'm glad he gets to come with us," Trinity smiled.

"Very well. Tomorrow, first thing in the morning, you two head out to Neon Town where you will meet up with Brock."

***

"Right, let's do some last-minute training," I said to my Pokemon when we got to my room. They all happily agreed.

Trinity was already training at our dome, and while I could simply go to my half, I decided to head outside and train in the night sky.

While I walked I thought about my task the next day. I was glad we had Brock with us—we could really use an experienced Trainer. The last time went on a mission we almost died like twenty times.

When I stepped outside, I felt the cool breeze waft through the night, making me exhale peacefully. There was nothing more relaxing to me than the night. I felt right at home with the shadows and darkness. The stars twinkled dazzlingly in the night sky, orbs of radiance for all to see. Soft beams of moonlight streaked to the ground, illuminating the patches of grass that wrapped around the entire house and laboratory.

I walked further when I heard noise

"Eevee, practice your Tackle again!"

Chloe's Eevee ran all around the area, being sped up by her Tackle, her pink ribbon swaying in gravity-defying angles.

"Oh, great," I muttered. As I turned to leave, Choe noticed me.

"What are you doing here?" she scoffed.

"I was just about to leave."

"No, seriously, why are you out here?"

"I was about to train. Is that illegal or something?" I rolled my eyes.

"That's suspicious," Chloe narrowed her eyes.

"Everything I do is suspicious, apparently," I muttered.

My Eevee, seemingly unknowing of our disagreement, jumped down and walked over to Chloe and her Eevee. Chloe's Eevee also strode to meet my Eevee. For a moment, they both just stood there, an understanding coming between them. Something felt... very odd. They got into a battle stance a moment after.