Chapter 3 ⁓ A Bad State

When the bobbing wooden rooster on the windowsill above the basin sink pitches forward, it clacks

When the bobbing wooden rooster on the windowsill above the basin sink pitches forward, it clacks. The drip from the sink's leaky faucet plunks. The wind beyond the thick glass of the blind-drawn window has begun to howl and rustle the trees in the yard so violently that muted sounds penetrate the heavy silence that's overtaken the kitchen.

Sipping her tea, Hannah glares over the rim of her mug. She doesn't receive a glare in return; instead, she's given a slow blink of hazel eyes and a subtle tilt to the vampire's fair head. She doesn't like Gabriel Kimberk. Not one bit.

When they'd left for the auction tonight, Kane had to physically drag Reid from the house. At the time, Hannah found the kerfuffle amusing. Reid had complained on the ride there and kept calling the meeting with his father an execution.

She'd thought he was acting dramatic. But he was genuinely distressed. Hannah can see that now. There's vileness in Gabriel Kimberk's composed gaze. She thought Valrus had a dark presence, but the demon is sunlight compared.

Lucas stands behind Hannah's chair, leaning against the jamb that leads to the corridor. He's done little to conceal the fact he's on the defence. When Hannah had told the man Gabriel couldn't make it to Reid under any circumstances, Lucas hadn't questioned her, simply nodded, and never left that doorway.

They're in a bad state. Really bad. Tired and beat up. But Reid's the one fighting for his life. They'll stand strong until he's back on his feet. Then, they'll rest, and Hannah will finally be able to take in a breath that doesn't feel like fire in her lungs.

Hannah has to resist the urge to look up. In the bedroom above, she's hidden the damnable necklace in a box and shoved the thing under some clothing in a dark corner of the walk-in closet. She's yet to find the words or the time to explain to Kane why Valrus isn't in his rightful place, sunken and forgotten at the bottom of that lake.

She pointedly ignores the twitch to her fingers and the growing urge to rush upstairs despite the chaos happening around her to check that the chain is where she left it.

She just needs some sleep. That's what she tells herself anyway.

The vampire, Axel, has found staring out the little window on the back door and into the overgrown yard extremely interesting. As if he's seeing the outdoors for the first time. He'd been at it for the last ten minutes, except for the fleeting moments when Hannah caught him looking at the hallway with an anxious expression, reacting to something she was not privy to.

The Demon's ScionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara