13

I turned off my phone.

I honestly couldn't care less if Will was parked outside or not. Because I knew that if João was taking me to prom, he would've knocked on the door and opened the car door for me. 

I snapped back into reality. I dragged my finger below my lip to wipe some smudged lipstick and smoothed out my dress. I heard an unfamiliar honk from a car and trudged over to his car, which door I had to open myself.

I shut the door behind me, grabbed my dress by the bottom of the hem, and lifted it, so it wouldn't get dirty. Will, rolled down the window and threw up two fingers, signaling a peace sign. He said something along the lines of "Princess" or "Cinderella". I mentally gagged but wasn't in the mood to let out a cocky remark.

I opened the car door and saw Will in a navy suit and tie. I froze for a moment and wondered if I had made the wrong choice and if I should call João or not. I shook my head and then smiled at him.

"Hi, how are you?" He asked me, grinning, and turning off some rap music.

"I'm good, you?" I said, taking a seat in his car.

"Excited. And you look extremely pretty." He spoke, starting the car.

"Thank you." I smiled.

The short car ride was marked by a lack of memorable conversation, and the absence of small talk made it awkward and lengthy.

Finally, we arrived at the school. I opened Will's car door, and we entered the double doors, leading to the gym. While stepping into the gym, linked together, my eyes widened at the decorations. It looked completely different, I didn't even recognize it. The glow of fairy lights hung from the ceiling, shining over tables with small floral vases, surrounding the dance floor. A small DJ table was set close to the polished floor, and my eyes wandered over to the wide selection of food and drinks.

All these decorations provided me with a distraction from any lingering thoughts of João. Speaking of, my eyes started to travel to look for him, but suddenly stopped when I felt someone hug me from behind.

Praying it wasn't Will, I looked behind me, "BEA!" Screamed Victoria. "You look gorgeous!" 

"Hi, Tori! Thank you, you look stunning!" I said, spinning around.

"Diego!"

"Hey, Bea. I see your date." He spoke, raising his eyebrows. "Not the guy I was expecting, but you clearly have a type," Diego said, looking at Will with narrow eyes.

"Love you too," I responded.

"Diego. Out." She ordered him. He walked over to the food table and started to help himself with snacks. She pulled a sad face, and I immediately knew why.

I put a finger to her lips. "Nope, we aren't talking about that right now, I'm going to have so much fun, and I'm not going to let him get to me."

As soon as I said that, I immediately felt like a hypocrite because João had just waltzed in with Luzia. He was wearing a black tuxedo, and Luzia was wearing a pink cupcake dress. On her wrist, sat a corsage, which was white with shades of pink. I felt my eyes water, and looked over at my bare wrist, with a single gold bracelet on. I inconspicuously took a glance at Victoria's wrist, and I saw a pale yellow corsage, matching her dress.

I cleared my throat. "I'm going to get a drink."

My vision quickly became blurred, and I rushed over to the drink table and downed, whatever punch was in the bowl. No way I'm going to let João ruin my prom.

On my way back to Will, I bumped into multiple people, trying to get him quickly. I grabbed Will's hand and took him to the dance floor, which was filling up slowly.