A Shift in Perspective (8)

Start from the beginning

My body is trying to shift.

Despite the pain starting to course throughout my senses at an even faster rate, I picked up my pace, pulling myself along the halls, a feeling of panic taking hold of me.

"Lily! Micah! Axel! Someone, please!" My voice came out desperate, my legs giving out under me. The pain was becoming unbearable, darkness edging at my vision, everything looking blurry. Flashes of heat were rolling over me, I could feel each of the cells inside of me trying to tear themselves apart, my blood feeling as if it's boiling, turning to lava.

I could see Lily rushing towards me, Axel close behind her. They got to me so quickly, yet somehow everything felt like it was moving in slow motion.

"His body is trying to shift; we need to get him outside! Call for Micah!" Lily's voice had an urgency to it, grabbing my arm and pulling it over her shoulder, dragging me to a door. I tried my best to help her, forcing my legs under me and limping at her side, my teeth clenched, and jaw locked.

Once outside, presumably a side door since my surroundings seemed slightly unfamiliar, we both fell to the ground. She wiped some sweat from my forehead, both of us on our knees and facing each other.

"I know it's hard, dear, but I need you to try to stay awake. We can get through this." Her voice sounded reassured but the pain in my body was something like nothing I had ever felt before,

and I've been through a lot.

It feels like my limbs are trying to pull themselves from my body, all the way down to my fingers and toes. Like my skin is trying to stretch beyond its limits. Like flames would engulf my skin at any moment.

The door burst open again, Micah and Axel rushing towards me with matching looks of concern. Axel stood behind Lily while Micah came around to my side, pulling me into him.

"What's going on, is he going to be okay?" Micah gripped my shoulder, wrapping his arm around me, looking over to Lily.

I really can't get a break, can I?

The thought made a humorless feeling rise in my stomach, but the pain made it hard to focus on any of the emotions coursing through me.

"I'm going to call the specialist we talked to last time. His body is trying to shift. He should be okay but stay with him," She turned her gaze to Axel as he helped her to her feet, "You need to get water bottles, a bucket of ice water and hand towels. Let's go." Lily and Axel rushed back inside, separating to do their tasks.

"Am I gonna die? After everything, is this what kills me? My own body turning against me?" I clutched onto Micah, giving in and leaning against him, a breathless, humorless laugh leaving my lips. Truly, it's laughable. My breath panting, and my body hot, sweat sticking to my skin as each nerve in my system lit on fire.

"Nah, you heard Lily." He paused, looking down to me and wiping my hair from my face tenderly, "You're gonna be just fine" He offered me a smile, placing a kiss to my forehead.

I hunched over, a new and stronger wave of pain crashing over me, and my injured arm started to twist itself. I could feel my body shifting, contorting into something else.

It feels as if my insides are melting, attempting to make my body more flexible, moldable. Maybe it's how we're able to shift? Everything in us liquifying before taking on a new shape?

Micah sat next to me, watching over me in concern, looking like he didn't know what to do. He looked scared; his eyes shone over in fear.

I groaned out in pain, leaning down on all fours as my legs started to stretch themselves out. Screaming out in pain when I felt my hip pop, my knees giving in, I fell onto my side. Micah clutched my hand, holding it tightly. Steam was starting to emit from my skin, my body temperature continuing to rise, everything in me turning to mush.